Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 21st September 2011
Report of the Cabinet Member for Human Resources & Equalities
Lone Working Policy
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet approval to formally adopt the new Lone Working Policy.
2. That Cabinet approve the attached Policy.
Reasons for the Recommendations
3. To assist the Council in meeting its duties under the Health and Safety at Work etc
4. This policy was developed to ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees
and to eliminate or minimise risks associated with lone working practices.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The Council has a duty to manage risks associated with lone working activities.
6. The Policy provides example areas of work where lone working activities take
place as part of the Council's undertakings and clearly outlines how such activities should be managed.
7. The Policy also provides guidance for managers / supervisors on risk assessing lone working activities.
8 The adoption of this Policy will ensure risks associated with lone working are identified, assessed, controlled and appropriate training provided.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
8. Any financial implications will be met from within existing budgets.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, the Council has a duty to protect
the health, safety and welfare of its employees.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. There are no direct Crime and Disorder implications as a result of this policy.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. There are no direct Equal Opportunities implications as a result of this policy.
12. Protecting the health, safety and welfare of all employees will have an impact
throughout all areas of the Corporate / Service Objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This report is a matter for Executive decision by the Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. This Policy has been through the normal consultation process.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Corporate Resources.
Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
Richard Stopgate - Principal Health & Safety Officer Tel: 029 20673263
Policy Review Group Members
Joint Trade Unions
Director of Finance, ICT & Property