Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 5TH OCTOBER, 2011
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 6TH SEPTEMBER, 2011
"320 IMPROVEMENT PLAN (CX) -
The draft Improvement Plan 2011/12 had been sent under separate cover to Members on 26th August, 2011 however copies were also available at the meeting.
Supplementary information in respect of updates on Performance Indicators
(contained in the report) including the Welsh averages that were within the Scrutiny Committee's remit were also tabled for Members consideration.
In presenting the report the Operational Manager (Corporate Policy and Communications) advised that the Plan contained performance information (data and text) which provided a look back over 2010/11 together with targets and actions for 2011/12. Whilst the Plan was substantially complete it was accepted that further minor amendments would be required to be made with the final draft to be submitted to Cabinet in September 2011.
In considering the report, Members requested that copies of the minutes of the Retailers Forum be circulated to all Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) Members. Discussion took place in relation to signage throughout the Vale particularly in view of the Eisteddfod 2012 taking place in the area and requested that various signs be cleaned, maintained etc. in order for visitors to be aware of the facilities available. Further discussion also took place in relation to 'Brown' signs for marketing purposes and that a review of such signage should be undertaken. In particular Members considered that reference should be made to why some signs detailed the names of premises and others only symbols. Members considered that the Council should be consistent in its approach.
Having considered the report it was
(1) T H A T the Improvement Plan 2011/12 as currently drafted and amended by the updated information contained in the tabled supplementary report be endorsed and Cabinet be informed of the Committee's comments.
(2) T H A T the Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) receives a report on the maintenance cycle for cleaning and repairing signs throughout the Vale.
(3) T H A T a full review of signage including 'Brown' signs be undertaken and reported to the Scrutiny Committee.
Reasons for recommendations
(1) To ensure that actions are taken to improve performance and Cabinet informed of the Committee's comments.
(2) In order for the Scrutiny Committee to consider the maintenance cycle for signs throughout the Vale of Glamorgan.
(3) In order for a consistent approach to be maintained throughout the Vale."