Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 19 October 2011
Report of the Leader
Community Action Self Help (CASH) Scheme 2011/12
Peterston - Super - Ely Community Council - Wyndham Park Estate surface water drainage improvements.
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Cabinet regarding the application for funding received as above.
1. Cabinet consider the issues as set out in the report and resolve accordingly.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To consider the funding of storm water drainage improvements.
2. The application received from Peterston-Super-Ely Community Council is reproduced at Appendix "A" to this report.
3. Included in the above are documents produced by the Wyndham Park Residents Assoc. Ltd., comprised of background information to the application, site plan, audited financial statement, and statement in support from the local Member.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The sewer in question is a private sewer the maintenance of which is not a responsibility of this Council.
5. Notwithstanding the above, the Council has recently expended approximately £1000 on CCTV surveying, jetting works, and procurement and supervisory costs in an abortive attempt to improve the situation.
6. For the reason stated previously, this problem is a private matter that should be resolved between the residents and property owner, as any further works by the Council could establish a precedent in regard to problems elsewhere and the costs of future maintenance.
7. The estimated cost of the works, based on the lowest of the three contractors' estimates included in the application, is £5250 (£4375 +VAT).
8. Whilst the Community Council has offered to contribute £200, CASH grants when approved are normally 75% of estimated costs, in this instance £3938.
9. The application as submitted does not include full engineering details eg plans, sections etc and as such it is not possible to comment in relation to the adequacy or otherwise of the works envisaged or the costs thereof.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
10. £50,000 has been included in the 2011/12 Capital Programme for the CASH grant scheme. The total value of grants already approval this financial year amounts to £35,225. Further applications are anticipated this financial year.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. The Water Industry (Schemes for Adoption of Private Sewers) Regulations 2011 came into force on 1st October 2011 and the effect of the same is to transfer most private sewers and drains to Dwr Cymru. However, where a drain discharges to a watercourse as appears to be the case with the drain in question, it is not so covered by the Regulations and hence the transfer to Dwr Cymru will not take place.
Section 2 of the Local Government Act 2000 provides the Council with the power to do anything which it considers likely to achieve any one or more of the following objects:
· Promotion or improvement of the economic wellbeing of its area;
· The promotion or improvement of the social wellbeing of its area;
· The promotion or improvement of the environmental wellbeing of its area.
This power can be exercised in relation to or for the benefit of any part of the authority's area or any persons resident in its area.
The Authority before exercising that power must have regard to its Community Strategy, which it is obliged to prepare under Section 4 of the same Act.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no crime and disorder implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. There are no Equal Opportunities Implications arising out of this report.
14. Funding support to Community and Town Council's in accordance with the Council's corporate objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. No consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources
Peterston -Super-Ely Community Council CASH grant application dated 15.07.11, and supporting information from Wyndham Park Residents Assoc. Ltd.
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Head of Planning & Transportation; Lawyer.
Visible Services, Highways & Engineering Section, Senior Engineering Assistant.
Sian Davies Director of Finance, ICT & Property