Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 16th November 2011
Report of the Leader
Review of the Corporate Plan 2010-14
Purpose of the Report
1. This report seeks Cabinet endorsement of a revised Corporate Plan for 2010-14.
1. That Cabinet endorses the draft revised Corporate Plan for 2010-14.
2. That the draft Plan be referred to Council for approval.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure the Council has an effective and up to date Corporate Pan which reflects the work being undertaken across the Council to improve the quality of life in the Vale of Glamorgan.
2. The current Corporate Plan was approved in 2010 and sets out a four year vision for the Council. The Plan is structured around seven corporate priorities and thirty four Improvement Objectives.
3. A report highlighting progress with the implementation of the Corporate Plan was reported to Cabinet in May 2011.
4. A revised plan was considered by Cabinet on the 7th September and referred to all Scrutiny Committees for comment.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The Plan has been updated to inform service planning for 2012/13, which will commence in October 2011, and to assist with the drafting of the Medium Term Financial Plan. The update has been done taking account of the revised Community Strategy for 2011-2021. A more comprehensive review and consultation will be undertaken in 2012.
6. A revised Corporate Plan (Appendix I) has been produced to ensure clarity over what activities need to be undertaken to deliver the agreed Improvement Objectives, what activities need to be revised and any changes in timeframes.
7. Forty three actions have been taken out of the Plan as they have now been completed and six actions have been deleted from the Plan as they can no longer be undertaken e.g. due to changes in resources or issues outside of the Council's control e.g. the Defence Training Academy. Details of lead responsibilities for the actions in the Plan are provided in Appendix II.
8. Eighteen new activities which support the delivery of the Improvement Objectives have been included in the revised Corporate Plan and are prefixed 'Proposed New Action'.
9. Improvement Objectives have not been amended as there has not been sufficient time to consult and these will be reviewed in 2012.
10. The Plan has also been amended to include reference to a number of new initiatives e.g. work with Bridgend County Borough Council, greater emphasis on partnership working and area working.
11. The Plan has been considered by all Scrutiny Committees. In addition, an open session for all Members was held in September which provided an opportunity to discuss the actions in more detail and explain the changes to the Plan. A number of amendments have been made to the Plan and details of the consultation responses and changes are attached as Appendix III. Changes include reference to the new Enterprise Zone at St Athan focusing on the aerospace sector and implementation of the Carbon Management Action Plan.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
12. All actions set out in this plan either have resources committed to their achievement or the likely prospect of such resources being made available in the plan period. Some of the actions however are dependent, wholly or partly, on funding from external sources; such actions are indicated by anà.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. None directly.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. None directly.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. The revised Plan will be published bi-lingually.
16. The Corporate Plan contains the Council's key corporate and service objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. The revised Corporate Plan will be submitted to Council for approval on 7th December 2011.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The report affects all wards, individual Member consultation is therefore not appropriate but an all Member briefing session was held on the 21st September 2011.
19. All Heads of Service have been consulted on the Plan.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
20. All Scrutiny Committees.
Vale of Glamorgan Council Corporate Plan 2010-14
Huw Isaac - Head of Performance and Development
Corporate Management Team
All Heads of Service
Responsible Officer: Huw Isaac - Head of Performance and Development