Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 4 January 2012
Report of the Leader
Grants to Community/Voluntary Organisations 2011/12 - Vale of Glamorgan Artists
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the approval of Cabinet on the award of further funding to Vale of Glamorgan Artists (VOGA).
1. Cabinet approve grant funding to the Vale of Glamorgan Artists in the sum of £2,500 in respect of their exhibition at next years "National Eisteddfod" at Llandow and engagement in this respect with Llantwit Major Comprehensive School.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To contribute towards the organisations exhibition at the Eisteddfod.
2. Funding for VOGA was previously considered by Cabinet 20.07.11 (Minute C1384 refers) and as in previous years £750 was approved towards their ongoing activities at Art Central, Dyffryn Gardens, and Travellers in Mind at Barry railway station etc.
3. The organisation has now submitted an additional application to that above in respect of its intended exhibition at next years "National Eisteddfod" at Llandow.
4. Applications for funding submitted by the organisation to the Arts Council for Wales and also to the Eisteddfod Committee have to date proved unsuccessful.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. VOGA's exhibition at the Eisteddfod, to be to be based around the poem "Y Lliaws Sy'n Llosgi" (The Multitude that is Burning) by the famous Welsh poet Menna Elfyn, will showcase the work of 17 no. highly regarded professional artists based in the Council's area.
6. VOGA's project to produce "new works" for the exhibition will engage with AS level art and graphic design students at Llantwit Major Comprehensive School and will professionally mentor young people in developing arts skills alongside professional artists.
7. The exhibition proposed by VoGA will be in the main Eisteddfod marquee and the project also aims to provide young people with the opportunity to exhibit alongside the professional artists at the Eisteddfod.
8. The Eisteddfod organisers are looking for a significant arts input and this project would assist in representing the Vale at this prestigious event.
9. VOGA estimate their costs for the stand and associated items to be £4500, of which they are able to contribute £2000, and are requesting a grant for the balance of £2500.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
10. Funding will be found from within the corporate policy revenue budget.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no direct crime and disorder implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. The organisation has confirmed that it actively promotes equal opportunities in its operations and service delivery.
14. The work of the organisation should contribute to the regeneration corporate priority "to work with partners to develop a sustainable community which maximises opportunities for economic growth, social improvement and environmental regeneration and protection".
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. No consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources
Letter from VOGA dated 10.10.11
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Operational Manager, Corporate policy & communications, Chief Executive's Department.
Director of Finance, ICT & Property