Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 1ST FEBRUARY, 2012
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 24TH JANUARY, 2012
MEMBER DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY, MEMBER INDUCTION PROGRAMME 2012 AND RELATED MATTERS (CX) -
The Operational Manager (Democratic Services) took Members through the report which contained details of the draft revised Member Development Strategy and related documentation as appended to the report. All the matters before the Committee had been previously considered by the cross-party Member Development Working Group. In addition to acknowledging links to the Council’s key corporate documents, particular regard had been given to the following areas and the need to meet the requirements of such:
the implications of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011
the inclusion of updated role descriptions and associated Core Competencies for Members
the provision of a clear framework for the undertaking of Personal Support and Development Interviews for Members
ensuring robust arrangements for monitoring/reviewing and delivering the overall Member Development Programme.
Further details in respect of the above were contained within the report. The Operational Manager drew particular attention to the draft Member Induction Programme as shown at Appendix B to the report, indicating that he hoped the programme would have been finalised in time for its inclusion in the Candidates’ Pack. Other examples as to the content of the Pack were contained within the report. Discussion ensued on the proposal that Group Leaders nominate Member Mentors prior to the election itself (Appendix C to the report), Committee subsequently agreeing that the nomination of Member Mentors should in fact take place following the elections. Members welcomed the introduction of Officer “Buddies” and were of the opinion that more detail (including a glossary of terminology) should be included in the Candidates’ Pack relating to the work undertaken within Directorates (e.g Visible Services – refuse collection) together with contact names and telephone numbers.
As regards the pro-forma drawn up to assist Members in preparing an Annual Report, various comments were made relating to type of information that could/should be included therein. Reference was made to the fact that, for example, only a certain number of Members could sit on various Committees (political balance restrictions, size of Committees, etc.) and the need to reflect that within the pro-forma so that constituents and others could better understand the role and responsibilities of individual Councillors. How best to record constituency activity was also raised, one suggestion being that Members recorded the time spent on such duties rather than giving details of the specific issues raised.
(1) T H A T, subject to any revisions being made as a consequence of the above discussions, the draft Member Development Strategy (including revised Role Descriptions), attached as Appendix A to the report, be endorsed.
(2) T H A T the information set out in Paragraphs 9 and 10 of the report be endorsed for inclusion in the Candidates' Pack.
(3) T H A T the draft Member Induction Programme, as set out in Appendix B to the report, be endorsed, subject to final arrangements being determined by the Chief Executive and Operational Manager (Democratic Services).
(4) T H A T the provision of Member Mentoring and Officer "Buddies", as set out an amended Appendix C to the report, be offered to all Members following the 2012 election.
(5) T H A T the Framework for Personal Support and Development Interviews for Members, as set out in Paragraphs 17 and 18 of the report, be endorsed.
(6) T H A T the template for Members' Annual Reports attached as Appendix D to the report, subject to any revisions being made as a consequence of the above discussions, be endorsed.
(7) T H A T the WLGA Framework for Member Development 2011 be recommended for adoption as part of the Council's approach to Member Development.
(8) T H A T Group Leaders be requested to nominate Member Mentors after the May 2012 election, who would then be provided with appropriate training.
(9) T H A T recommendations (1) to (8) above be referred to Cabinet on 1st February, 2012.
Reasons for the Recommendations
(1) To provide for an updated Member Development Strategy and to meet the requirements of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
(2) To agree the main elements of the Candidates' Pack, to be issued to all those standing in the 2012 election.
(3) To enable officers to progress arrangements for the 2012 Member Induction Programme.
(4) To facilitate the provision of Member Mentoring and Officer "Buddies".
(5) To agree the framework for the holding of Personal Support and Development Interviews for Members.
(6) To provide for the preparation by Members of Annual Reports in accordance with the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
(7) To support the provision of Member Development within the Council.
(8) To facilitate the provision for nominated Members of relevant training.
(9) To facilitate Cabinet consideration of the proposals.
Appendix report submitted to Corporate Resources 24 January 2012.