Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 15 February 2012
Report of the Leader
Grants to Community / Voluntary Organisations - Vale Centre for Voluntary Services
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the approval of Cabinet on the award of further funding to the Vale Centre for Voluntary Services (VCVS).
1. Cabinet approve grant funding to the Vale Centre for Voluntary Services in the sum of £84,000 per annum, payable annually in advance, for three years commencing 1 April 2012.
2. A Deed of Grant for three years from 1April 2012 be entered into with the Vale Centre for Voluntary Services.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1-2 To formalise funding arrangements with the Vale Centre for Voluntary Services.
2. VCVS acts as the "umbrella" organisation representing the voluntary sector and supporting voluntary action in the Vale of Glamorgan through working with a variety of partners including this Council.
3. The organisation's current agreement with the Council, providing funding in the sum of £88,000 per annum, will come to an end at 31 March 2012.
4. The organisation has requested ongoing funding from this Council for a further period of three years.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Meetings have been held with representatives of the bureau at which the severe financial constraints facing the Council have been explained.
6. Mindful of the above, and also of the increased workload on VCVS, it has been concluded that further funding could be provided in the sum of £84,000 per annum for three years commencing 1 April 2012.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
7. It is anticipated that funding will be found from within the corporate policy revenue budget.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report. Should grant funding be approved an appropriate agreement will be necessitated and will be prepared by the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services in consultation with the Director of Finance, ICT and Property to ensure formalisation of the terms and conditions to be agreed with the VCVS.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. The funding of the voluntary sector should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. Whilst there are none directly arising from this report, the VCVS strongly advocates equality of opportunity in its operations and service delivery.
11. Funding support to the VCVS is in accordance with the Council's corporate objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. No consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Letter from DoF, ICT & P to VCVS dated 20.11.11
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Director of Finance, ICT & Property