Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 28th March 2012
Report of the Leader
Grants to Community / Voluntary Organisations - Valeways
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the approval of Cabinet on the award of further funding to Valeways.
1. Cabinet approve grant funding to Valeways in the sum of £20,000 for the year commencing 1st April 2012.
2. A Deed of Grant of Grant for one year from 1 April 2012 be entered into with Valeways in respect of the above.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To demonstrate the Council's support to the work of Valeways in the Vale of Glamorgan and to allow the organisation an opportunity to explore ways of ensuring its long term sustainability.
2. To formalise funding arrangements with Valeways.
2. Formed in 1996, Valeways is a multi-partnership charity that supports teams of mixed ability volunteers to improve and maintain access to the Vale of Glamorgan countryside public rights of way.
3. Valeways three year funding agreement in the sum of £30,000 per annum will end on 31st March 2012.
4. The organisation wishes to secure ongoing funding from this Council.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The organisation is working towards a position of financial sustainability through rationalisation of its management structure, and the investigation of alternative sources of funding. Its proposed new organisational structure is leaner and more cost effective, and hence a lower contribution is sought than previous years. This is at the cost of a reduction in footpath maintenance resources, although Valeways still propose to carry out 'walk and clear' programmes with volunteers, and engage in walking promotional activities. This aids the Council in its delivery of the statutory duty to maintain rights of way, although the relative value of that work when considered against other means of delivery will take some time to quantify.
6. The Council is working with Valeways on specific projects such as the Walking Festival and bringing in additional funds in that respect. To allow the organisation a further opportunity to achieve financial sustainability it is recommended that funding should be continued in the sum of £20,000 for 2012/13.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change as appropriate)
7. Funding will be found from within the corporate policy revenue budget.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. The funding of the voluntary sector should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. Whilst there are none directly arising from this report, Valeways strongly advocates equal opportunity in its operations and service delivery.
11. Funding support to Valeways is in accordance with the Council's corporate priorities.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. No consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Application by letter dated 13.02.12
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Department of Environment & Economic Regeneration - Operational Manager, Countryside and Economic Projects
Director of Finance, ICT & Property