Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 18 April 2012
Report of the Leader
Grants to Community / Voluntary Organisations
Cowbridge Charter Trust
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the approval of Cabinet on the award of further funding to Cowbridge Charter Trust in respect of works to the Cowbridge Town Walls.
1. Cabinet approve grant funding to the Cowbridge Charter Trust in the sum of £6,693 for the purpose of further works to the Cowbridge Town Walls.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To demonstrate support for the work of the Trust.
2. The Cowbridge Town Walls are of historic interest, Grade 2 * listed, require an ongoing programme of works to prevent further deterioration. The areas the subject of this report are indicated in the aerial photograph reproduced at appendix "A" to this report.
3. Cowbridge Charter Trust has over recent years undertaken considerable work to various sections of the wall, most recently in 2009 when the Council contributed £60,000 towards work undertaken to that section of the wall surrounding in part the former health centre and marked "A" to "C" on the photograph. (Minute No.513 Cabinet 24.06.09 refers)
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Trust now wishes to undertake work to further sections of the wall surrounding in part the Old Hall, marked "C" to "E", and a detached section marked "F" to "G" on the photograph. The scope of the works also include a children's story telling area, two display boards, and two years maintenance of the walls.
5. The estimated cost of these works is £22,310 of which the Trust has been successful in obtaining a "Pride in our Heritage Grant" amounting to £15,617. The Trust has requested that the Council fund the shortfall in the sum of £6,693.
6. There is no obligation on any third party to contribute to the works.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change (as appropriate)
7. Funding will be found from within the corporate policy revenue budget.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct crime and disorder implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no equal opportunities implications arising out of this report.
11. The work of the organisation should contribute to the regeneration corporate priority "to work with partners to develop a sustainable community which maximises opportunities for economic growth, social improvement and environmental regeneration and protection".
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. No consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Letter Cowbridge Charter Trust application dated 10.02.12
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Operational Manager, Legal Public Protection & Housing,
Operational Manager Property, Department of Finance, ICT & Property
Director of Finance, ICT & Property