Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting - 18 April 2012
Report of the Cabinet Member for Legal and Public Protection
Public Protection - Proposed Fees and Charges 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. This report sets out proposals for increases in fees and charges in respect of those functions managed by Public Protection which are the responsibility of the Council’s Executive.
1. That Cabinet approve the schedule of fees and charges in Appendix 1 to this report to become effective from 1st May 2012.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure fees are increased in line with inflation, statutory requirements and reflect more accurately the actual cost of providing services.
2. The Council delivers a number of chargeable services through the Directorate of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services. This report sets out proposals for increases to fees and charges in Appendix 1.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Fees generally have been increased in line with published Retail Price Index figures. However for this financial year it is proposed to increase charges by the same rate as the Council Tax i.e. 1.75%.
4. By providing a competitive service to business the service can increase its income. These are detailed in Appendix 1.
5. Trading Standards charges under the Weights and Measures Act 1985 will be set regionally but will not be published until April 2012. These fees and charges will be the subject of a further report.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
6. The charges proposed reflect increases in the costs of delivering services and the requirement to obtain additional income to assist in delivering a balanced budget.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. Under relevant legislation the Council is allowed to charge for certain services it provides. Where actual fees and charges are specified in legislation this is indicated in the appendices.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. There are no crime and disorder implications as a result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. There are no implications as a result of this report.
10. Fees are generally set on a cost recovery basis and income generated directly supports service provision.
11. It is a corporate priority to manage the Council's workforce, money and assets efficiently and effectively in order to maximise its ability to achieve its aims in a sustainable manner.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. This report is not ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Housing and Public Protection.
Alun R Billinghurst Head of Public Protection 01446 709720
Mike Bumford (Finance)
Mike Walsh (Legal)
Peter H Evans Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services.