Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 30th May, 2012
Report of the Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, Culture & Sports Development
Jenner Park Primary Users 2012/2013
Purpose of the Report
1. The purpose of this report is to update Cabinet on the process of appointing primary users for Jenner Park for season 2012/2013.
1. That the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration in agreement with the Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, Culture & Sports Development be granted delegated powers to negotiate primary user status at Jenner Park for season 2012/2013 at a minimum rate of £275 per match.
2. That the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration in agreement with the Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, Culture & Sports Development be granted delegated powers to accept other bookings for 2012/2013 season at Jenner Park upon such terms and conditions as the said Director deems appropriate.
3. That the process for selecting primary users for Jenner Park for season 2013/2014 be repeated with bids again being reported to Cabinet for consideration with a minimum bid price of £280 being set.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1 - 3.
To make best use of Council assets and safeguard the Council's position.
2. Cabinet agreed in May 2011 (Minute No. C1324 (4)) that the process for selecting primary users at Jenner Park be repeated for 2012/2013 season. The process has been repeated and only one bid was received from Cadoxton Barry Football Club, but this was below the minimum price set and has therefore not been considered.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. As detailed in previous reports, Jenner Park can accommodate two primary users playing predominantly Saturday fixtures for the 2012/2013 season. However, as no acceptable bids have been received on this occasion it is proposed that negotiations could take place should primary users come forward before the beginning of the season. It is already understood that Barry Town Football Club are likely to do so and that their application may have not been received due to email address problems they experienced.
4. As in previous years, the quality and the amount offered to use Jenner Park for season 2012/2013 has again been very disappointing and does not cover the cost of operating the facility from the Council's perspective. It is however recommended to repeat the bidding process for 2013/2014 and to increase the minimum starting fee to £280 per fixture to gain primary status.
5. As agreed for previous seasons, permission is also sought for the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration in agreement with the Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, Culture & Sports Development to be granted delegated powers to accept other bookings for the 2012/2013 season at Jenner Park, notably local cup finals and important local fixtures. Charges for the latter are agreed annually as part of the general consideration of fees and charges.
6. Should there be any conflict between organisations in relation to bookings for the use of Jenner Park, this will be determined by the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
7. The appointment of a primary user for Jenner Park for season 2012/2013 will produce income at Jenner Park which will contribute to the operating costs. However, the income gained does not cover the operating costs of the facility.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The appointment of any primary user status at Jenner Park for season 2012/2013 will be strictly on a pay as you play licence, with payment due in advance, with the exception of flood lighting which will be charged in arrears in addition to the pitch fee. Flood lighting will be charged in accordance with the fees and charges set by the Council.
9. The terms and conditions to play need to be set by the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing, in conjunction with the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration and the Director of Finance, ICT and Property.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. There are no crime and disorder implications associated with this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. The recommendations have due regard to the equal opportunity policies the Council. By requesting bids to use Jenner Park, the Council is affording all organisations the opportunity to use the facility.
12. Jenner Park is the primary outdoor sports arena in the Vale of Glamorgan and it is important that it is used in an appropriate and effective manner.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This report is a matter for Executive decision by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. No Ward member consultation has taken place as Jenner Park is unique in terms of the Council's sporting facilities.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Economy and Environment.
Dave Knevett, Operational Manager, Leisure and Tourism, Tel 01446 704817.
Operational Manager Legal - Committee reports
Head of Finance and Audit
Operational Manager Parks and Grounds Maintenance
Operational Manager Strategy and Support
Leisure Services Manager
Rob Quick - Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration