Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 30TH MAY, 2012
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 23RD APRIL, 2012
“1128 YOUTH SERVICE PROVISION TASK AND FINISH GROUP FINAL REPORT (REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN) -
The Chairman of the Task and Finish Group, Councillor Mrs. S.I. Sharpe, presented the report to the Scrutiny Committee advising that in the opinion of the Group, the Youth Service was working well within limited budgets and that following the review it was important to note that collaboration was essential for the service to progress. The collaboration work that was being undertaken with Bridgend had identified the strengths and weaknesses of both the Vale and Bridgend in such a collaborative approach. Councillor Sharpe highlighted that there was a need for the street based and mobile provision to be developed further in the Vale and she took the opportunity to thank the young people that had taken part in the review. One of the conclusions from the review was that the Youth Champion for the Vale should be a young person as opposed to a Councillor from the Vale of Glamorgan Council which was echoed by all Members present. Cllr Sharpe thanked all the Members of the group and the officers involved for their support throughout the process and requested approval for the document to Cabinet.
During consideration of the report reference was made to page 18 and to some amendments to the figures for enrolments and completions for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards as below
· completions 2010/11 the total to read 80 for Bronze, for Silver to read 15 with the final total being 110
· enrolments 2011/12 award level Bronze total to read 598 with the overall total reading 747.
It had also been suggested that where there were illustrations within the document that a small footnote be included as to their interpretation.
Following approval by the Committee Cllr Sharpe also requested that feedback on the report be provided to the young people who had attended the session in December 2011, as appropriate.
The Chairman and Members of the Scrutiny Committee thanked the Group for an instructive report and agreed that the recommendations contained therein, be supported, following which it was subsequently
(1) T H A T the report, the recommendations and action plan of the Task and Finish Group as detailed at Appendix A be accepted and referred to Cabinet for approval.
(2) T H A T following Cabinet approval the Scrutiny Committee receives an update on the development of the recommendations within six months.
(3) T H A T prior to submission to Cabinet any minor amendments or adjustments to the report be amended in conjunction with the Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee and the Chairman of the Task and Finish group.
Reason for recommendations
(1,2&3) To progress the review.”
Attached as Appendix – Report to Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 23rd April, 2012