Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 30th May 2012
Report of the Leader
Revenue Monitoring for the period 1st April 2012 to 30th April 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Cabinet of the progress of revenue expenditure for the period 1st April, 2012 to 30th, April, 2012.
1. That the position with regard to the Authority’s 2012/13 Revenue Budget be noted.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. That the members are aware of the projected revenue outturn for 2012/13.
2. Council on the 7th March 2012 (minute no 951 and 949 respectively) approved the Revenue Budget and Housing Revenue Account budget for 2012/13. The Budget information is subdivided by cabinet members’ portfolio within each Directorate. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this Committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The projected out turn for the 2012/13 Revenue Budget is shown in comparison with the Revenue Budget at Appendix ‘1'. The forecast is for the Council to have a balanced Revenue Budget.
4. The forecast is for an estimated balanced budget on the Housing Revenue Account.
5. As it is very early in the financial year, the current forecast for Social Services is a balanced budget. In addition to increased demand for services, there is pressure on the Directorate to achieve its savings target for 2012/13.
6. Children and Young People's Services - There continues to be considerable pressure on the Children’s placements budget. Any increase in the number of children becoming looked after by the Council over the year could significantly impact on the service.
7. Adult Services - There is continuing pressure on the Community Care Packages budget. This budget is extremely volatile and can be adversely affected by outside influences such as last years introduction of the First Steps Initiative by the Welsh Government which capped charging for non residential services to £50 per week. It was previously reported that the impact of the £50 cap was approximately £650k. Since that date there has been continuous growth in the number of clients, consequently the estimated full year impact is now £1.4m. There is potential this could rise further. The budget is based on Welsh Government funding these increased costs and discussions are continuing on this issue.
8. The Social Services Directorate is committed to achieving a balanced budget in 2012/13. The Budget Action Recovery Plan has been updated to demonstrate the steps to be undertaken to attain the savings targets set for the Directorate. This will be presented to Cabinet in the near future. The multi disciplinary project team and project board which has been set up to oversee the plan, will further develop it and oversee and facilitate its delivery.
9. All Other Services may come under financial pressure during the year, however at this time they are expected to out turn on target.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
10. As detailed in the body of the report
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. There are no legal implications
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no crime and disorder implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. There are no equal opportunity implications
14. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This report is for executive decision by the Cabinet
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. Each Scrutiny Committee will receive a monitoring report on their respective areas. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Robert Ingram (Principal Accountant) (01446 709252)
The Head of Strategic, Planning and Performance (Learning and Development), Directors of Environment and Economic Regeneration and Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services and Social Services have been consulted on the contents of this report
Sian Davies Director of Finance, ICT and Property