Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 23rd July 2012
Report of the Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, Culture and Sport Development
Event Deed of Grants 2012 - 2015 (Part 2)
Purpose of the Report
1. The purpose of this report is to provide further information on potential future events and their future funding.
1. That Cabinet approves £10,000 funding for the Tall Ships Youth Trust (TSYT) for 2012/ 2013 only, to attend this year's Tall Ship Festival (1 - 2 September).
2. That a further report be produced after the 2012 Tall Ship Festival on future sources and quantum of funding for the event.
3. That a future report be presented to Cabinet on the use of funding for the remainder of 2012/13
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. That the Tall Ships Youth Trust is already committed to Barry for 2012
2. To allow a full evaluation of the 2012 Tall Ship Festival and subsequent funding options
3. Information is required to inform Cabinet of the possible options available
2. A previous report "Event Deed of Grants 2012 - 2015" (Appendix A) was presented to Cabinet on 11th June 2012 and further to discussion the following was resolved:
"That a further report detailing all relevant financial information on those organisations detailed in the report, including a review of funding streams available to the same, be presented to Cabinet". Ref: Minute number C1738.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Since the report to Cabinet on 11th June discussions have been held with the Tall Ships Youth Trust. The Tall Ships Youth Trust is committed to visiting Barry on Friday 31st August as part of its advanced sailing programme for this year. It was agreed in principle, during discussions at last year's event, that the Tall Ships Youth Trust would attend in 2012 with its vessel Stavros S Niarchos. The Tall Ships Youth Trust would also supply three other vessels to attend the festival at no extra cost to the Council.
4. Whilst the Council could withdraw its support it would seem more reasonable to give at least a year's notice of the withdrawal of funding. The Tall Ship Festival has been a popular addition to the Vale of Glamorgan's events calendar, attracting approx 19,000 visitors in 2011. In addition, as part of their agreement, the Tall Ships Youth Trust agrees to take a significant number of young people from the Vale on their voyages
5. With reference to funding for the remaining events, the Events Officer will engage with the event organisers with a view to resolving future funding options.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
6. The Devolved Event Grants budget stands at £31,000 per annum and there is enough funding within this budget to cover the £10,000 for the Tall Ships Youth Trust for 2012.
7. Total monies agreed to date from the Devolved Events Budget, as resolved by Cabinet on the 11th June is as follows:
Vale of Glamorgan Show £2,500
Barry Transport Festival £1,500
8. This leaves £27,000 available for 2012/13, of which £10,000 would be used to fund the Tall Ships Youth Trust event in September of this year.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. All grants for events will require a deed of grant to ensure they deliver the Council's expectations.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. The funding of events throughout the Vale of Glamorgan should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. All organisations seeking funding must actively promote equal opportunities in their operations and service delivery
12. Events raise the profile of the Council and the Vale of Glamorgan Events programme, as well as contributing to regeneration objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This is a matter for executive decision by Cabinet
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. Ward Members have been consulted on the report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Corporate Resources
Sarah Jones Events Officer - 01446 704737
Operational Manager - Leisure and Tourism
Director of Finance, ICT and Property
Operational Manager - Legal
Tourism and Marketing Manager
Rob Thomas, Director of Development Services - 01446 704630