Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 1st October 2012
Report of the Leader
Christmas Grants 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Cabinet on the award of grants as above.
1. The sum to be made available to each Town / Community Council for Christmas CASH funding 2012 be maintained at £450.
2. The per capita sum to be made available to pensioner and similar organisations for Christmas Lunches 2012 be maintained at £4.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1-2 To award grants in accordance with the approved scheme.
2. In previous years Town / Community Councils have been requested to submit suitable "Christmas feature" projects for CASH funding, and pensioner and similar organisations have been invited to apply for financial assistance towards provision of a Christmas lunch for their members. (Cabinet minute 1458 05.10.11 refers).
Relevant Issues and Options
3. In respect of Christmas CASH, the sum made available to Town / Community Council's last year was £450. The total cost of this grant is £11,700 per annum.
4. In respect of pensioner and similar organisations Christmas lunches, the sum made available last year was £4 per capita. The total cost of this grant is approximately £9,000 per annum.
5. It is proposed that both the grants as above be maintained at the same level as last year.
6. The responsibility for approving the allocation of CASH grants has been delegated to the Director of Resources in consultation with the relevant Cabinet Member.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. Financial provision has been made for grants within the policy revenue budget 2012/13.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. There are no sustainability and climate change implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. The funding of the voluntary sector should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. The core eligibility criteria, provided to all applicants, provides that all organisations seeking funding must actively promote equal opportunities in their operations and service delivery.
12. The proposals are in accordance with the corporate priorities of the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This is a matter for Executive decision by the Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. No consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Corporate Resources
Grant application forms.
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250