Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 29th February 2012
Report of the Leader
Community Action Self Help (CASH) Scheme 2011/12
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Cabinet on the awarding of further CASH grants.
1. That further grants be approved as set out at Appendix "A" to this report.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To progress grants in accordance with the approved scheme.
2. The Community Action Self Help Scheme (C.A.S.H.) provides funding to Town and Community Councils to undertake capital schemes of their choice within their own area. This is an important feature of the Council’s aims to work in partnership with Town and Community Councils and to target resources to all communities within the Vale.
3. Technical assistance from officers is available to Town and Community Councils during the design and implementation of their schemes. The C.A.S.H. scheme continues to be very popular with all concerned.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The report sets out at appendix "A" further applications received this year and the grants recommended in respect of each.
5. The schemes Conditions and Criteria is set out at Appendix “B” to this report. When approving grant applications, Cabinet should ensure that the relevant grant criteria are being met and the purposes for which the grants are awarded are in accordance with the Council’s priorities.
6. Grants are limited to a ceiling of £15,000 for any one Community or Town Council and satisfactory quotations must be obtained. In addition, the Council will need to be satisfied that the Community / Town Council is able to meet all future revenue costs.
7. It has not been possible for the applicants to fully comply with the need for full details and quotations at this stage. Any grants allocated are "in principle only". Only when conditions are met will final approval be issued for work to begin on a scheme.
8. Due to the lateness of these applications the schemes are unlikely to be completed within the current financial year and therefore funding will probably require to be slipped into 2012/13.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
9. £50,000 has been included in the 2011/12 Capital Programme for the CASH grant scheme of which grants amounting to £39,163 have previously been approved this year. The value of grants recommended for approval in this report amount to £3,300.
10. The responsibility for approving the allocations has been delegated to the Director of Finance, ICT & Property in consultation with the Cabinet Member.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. It is a condition of the CASH scheme that the Town or Community Council is responsible for ensuring that works are undertaken in accordance with current health and safety legislation and that sufficient insurance cover is obtained prior to the commencement of works.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no crime and disorder Implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. There are no equal opportunities implications arising out of this report.
14. Funding support to Community and Town Council's is in accordance with the Council's corporate objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. No consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources
Grant application forms and supporting paperwork.
Mr AD Williams
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709250
Director of Finance, ICT & Property