Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 29TH FEBRUARY, 2012
REFERENCE FROM LICENSING COMMITTEE: 7TH FEBRUARY, 2012
"860 AMENDED NEW BYELAWS - ACUPUNCTURE, TATTOOING SEMI-PERMANENT SKIN COLOURING, COSMETIC PIERCING AND ELECTROLYSIS (DLPPHS) -
Committee were advised of amendments to the new Model Byelaws published by the Welsh Government to control the medical risks associated with acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis and were requested to endorse their adoption by the Council.
Licensing Committee, on 4th October 2011, had considered the proposal to introduce new byelaws for the control of acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis and had resolved, inter alia that the Council be recommended to adopt the provisions of Part VIII of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 across the Vale of Glamorgan and that the provisions come into force on 1st February, 2012. On 7th December 2011, Council had endorsed the recommendations of the Licensing Committee.
On 19th December 2011, the Welsh Government advised officers that a revised version of the model byelaws for acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis had been issued.
In light of the above, and to ensure byelaws introduced by this Council reflected best practice, work to progress the decision of the Council on 7th December was held in abeyance in order for officers to consider the implications of the correspondence received from the Welsh Government on 19th December 2011.
Officers were satisfied that the new model byelaws provided additional public protection, and were of the view that they should replace those endorsed by Council on 7th December 2011.
(1) T H A T the amended new consolidated byelaws for the control of acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis as attached at Appendix A to the report be endorsed and that Council be recommended that they be formally adopted.
(2) T H A T the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services be authorised to carry out the necessary procedure and apply to the appropriate Minister at the Welsh Government for approval and confirmation of the amended new byelaws.
(3) T H A T the Council be recommended to authorise the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services to seal and date the byelaws on behalf of the Council.
(4) T H A T the report be referred to Cabinet for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure the medical risks associated with acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis are effectively controlled and local byelaws reflect current infection control advice and industry best practice.
(2&3) To ensure the proposed amended new byelaws are adopted in accordance with legislative requirements.
(4) To ensure Cabinet are aware of the proposed amended new byelaws."
Attached as Appendix - Report to Licensing Committee: 7th February 2012.