Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 4TH FEBRUARY, 2013
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (HOUSING AND PUBLIC PROTECTION): 16TH JANUARY, 2013
“ GUIDANCE AND PRIORITIES FOR THE ADAPTATION OF HOMES OF PEOPLE WITH IMPAIRMENTS (DDS) –
The Committee considered proposed Guidance and Priorities for the Adaptation of Homes of People with Impairments which was set out in Appendix 1 to the report. The aim of the document was to:
· provide a consistent approach across all cases and enhance quality control
· provide information to the public to ensure the Council’s decisions on eligible grant funded work were transparent
· set out a detailed appeals procedure for service users who were not happy with a decision made on eligible grant funded work and
· help reduce the overall cost of major adaptations to enable the Council to manage pressures on the service.
The Committee was informed that the guidance would be used by the Occupational Therapist and the Disabled Facilities Team when determining what work would be eligible for grant assistance. In addition, the guidance would also be made available to the public to help understanding on the decisions made regarding eligible works.
It was proposed that any future changes to the document would be made by the Director of Development Services and the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety as necessary and appropriate.
Certain Members of the Committee referred to the report being considered at an earlier meeting of the Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health) on 14th January 2013 when, at that time, the Committee had recommended that the proposed delegation to the Director of Development Services and the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety be extended to include both the Cabinet Members for Adult Services and Children’s Services.
Discussion ensued regarding certain aspects of the proposed guidance and priorities. The Committee also expressed their appreciation and thanks to officers in regard to improved performance in the time to deliver a DFG from the first point of contact to completion of the work.
Having regard to the above and related issues, it was
(1) T H A T the Guidance and Priorities for the Adaptation of Homes of People with Impairments be endorsed and referred to Cabinet for consideration.
(2) T H A T, subject to the Cabinet’s approval, the Scrutiny Committee endorses the principle that the Director of Development Services, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety, being granted delegated power to review and make changes to the Guidance and Priorities for the Adaptation of Homes of People with Impairments document as appropriate.
(3) T H A T the Scrutiny Committee supports the views expressed by the Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health) at its meeting held on 14th January 2013, that the delegation referred to in Recommendation (2) above being extended to include both the Cabinet Members for Adult Services and Children’s Services.
Reasons for recommendations
(1) To allow for Cabinet to give further consideration to the matter.
(2) Subject to the Cabinet’s approval, to enable the guidance document to be amended quickly due to new legislation, case law, guidance, best practice and Local Government Ombudsman and similar rulings.
(3) To support the stance taken by the relevant Scrutiny Committee.”
Attached as Appendix - Report to Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection): 16th January 2013