Agenda Item No
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 25 February 2013
Report of the Leader
Outcome Agreement 2010-2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To update members on progress towards achievement of the Outcome Agreement for 2012/13.
1. That members note the progress on achievement of the Outcome Agreement funding.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. In order to monitor progress in the current financial year and to undertake changes to ensure that the performance incentive grant attached to the Agreement is achieved.
2. The council entered into three previous agreements with the Welsh Government (Policy Agreements in 2001-04 and 2004-07 and an Improvement Agreement in 2008-2010). These agreements were based on the premise that the council and WG share common objectives and that agreements could be entered into to assist in achieving these objectives. WG pays a grant to the council to incentivise achievement of targets, to the value of £1.254 million annually. The current Outcome Agreement was signed in February 2011, for the period 2010 - 2013 and revised slightly in August 2011 and again in September 2012.
3. The incentive grant is paid on a sliding scale based on the extent to which actions and measures have been achieved, and the Council must be able to evidence collaboration in order to secure 100% of the grant. Evidence must be provided annually for each activity/measure to show progress to receive the incentive grant. In both 2010/11 and again in 2011/12, the full amount of incentive grant was achieved.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Cabinet received a report in December 2012 on achievement of the incentive grant, and it was agreed that a further report be made regarding the likely achievement of targets for 2012/13. A progress update is attached at Appendix A. Information not yet known (but expected) is highlighted in yellow. Targets that may be missed are highlighted in red.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. The council has received £1.254 million from the Welsh Government in 2012/13. The grant is entirely unhypothecated and is paid into the general funds of the council.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. There are a number of targets and actions that will contribute to: ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; living within environmental limits; and promoting good governance.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. Improvement agreements have no basis in statute. They are therefore voluntary in nature and there are no sanctions relating to non-achievement of targets, apart from the loss of financial incentive.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. There are no activities/indicators in the agreement that relate to crime and disorder.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. There are no activities/indicators contained in the agreement that relate to improving equalities outcomes.
10. The agreement links to the council’s objective of community leadership, and assists in focusing the council’s activities on national objectives. The council and WG jointly negotiate the targets contained within the agreement.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. The Outcome Agreement is a matter of Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. Senior officers of the council responsible for the achievement of targets and actions, along with the Corporate Management Team, have been consulted on the content of the update report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Prospectus for Outcome Agreements, Welsh Assembly Government.
Beverly Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Tel: 01446 709746 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Performance and Improvement
Officers listed as responsible officers within the agreement
Sian Davies, Managing Director