Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 25TH FEBRUARY, 2013
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 8TH FEBRUARY, 2013
"835 CAPITAL MONITORING: 1ST APRIL TO 30TH NOVEMBER 2012 (MD) –
Details of financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th November, 2012 were appended to the report. Details were contained within the report under the following headings as summarised below:
· Penarth Learning Community / St. Cyres Demountables – combine the 2 budgets
· Day Care Reconfiguration, Hen Goleg – transfer of funds to complete the refurbishment works
· Alexandra Gardens Community Centre Rebuild – project redesigned and a preferred contractor appointed; costs projected to be well within budget
· Replacement of Mess Room at Court Road Depot – tenders issued for the rebuild element of the scheme.
Details in relation to the following schemes (having a value of over £500k.) with a variance of 20% or more between actual spend to date and profiled spend were also contained within the report:
· Coldbrook Flooding - a re-tender exercise to be undertaken delaying the progress of the scheme
· Five Mile Lane Safety Improvements – scheme amended and costs reduced
· Highway Resurfacing – contract ahead of the planned profile
· Vehicle Replacement Programme – majority of vehicles anticipated by year- end
· Leisure Centre Refurbishment – expenditure behind profile
· Castleland Renewal Area - expenditure behind profile.
In response to a query as to the likelihood of Welsh Government agreeing to split grant aid over 2 years, the Head of Accountancy and Resources stated that efforts were made by officers from both the Council and the WG to mitigate potential problems. When asked why the schemes in relation to Alexandra Gardens and Five Mile Lane had come in under budget, Members were notified that both schemes had been totally redesigned.
(1) T H A T Members note that Scrutiny Committees had been requested to forward the following recommendations to Cabinet:
· Penarth Learning Community - increase the 2013/14 budget to £4.923m (funded from a transfer of £97k. from the St. Cyres Demountable budget plus an additional £60k. revenue funding). Also, increase the 2015/16 budget by £3k. (funded from revenue contribution).
· Day Care Re-Configuration, Hen Goleg - include a budget of £37k. (funded from a transfer £37k. from the Disabled Access Improvements capital budget).
· Alexandra Gardens Community Centre re-build - reduce the budget to £200k. (carry forward £227k. to 2013/14).
(2) T H A T Cabinet be recommended to seek Council approval to reduce the budget to £222k. (carry forward £30k. to 2013/14) for the replacement of the Mess Room at Court Road.
Reasons for recommendations
(1) That Members are aware of the progress on the Capital Programme.
(2) That Council approval is sought."
Attached as Appendix - Report to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 8th February, 2013