THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 4TH MARCH, 2013
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 19TH FEBRUARY, 2013
" CAPITAL MONITORING REPORT FOR THE PERIOD 1ST APRIL TO 31ST DECEMBER, 2012 (MD) -
The report provided Members with an update of the progress on the 2012/13 Capital Programme for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st December 2012. The Head of Service for Accountancy and Resource Management in presenting the report referred to various schemes, as detailed in the report, where the relevant officers had been required to provide explanations where it was evident that the full year’s budget would not be spent during the year.
In considering the report Members referred to the Extra Care / Elderly Mental Infirm (EMI) feasibility scheme under the Directorate of Social Services and queried the reasons for the delay, particularly in view of the fact that a £50,000 allocation had been regularly reported to Committee over the past few years. It was agreed that the information together with confirmation of whether work on the Older People's Accommodation Strategy had commenced be e-mailed to Members following the meeting.
In response to a query regarding the Leisure Centre Refurbishment and the loan repayable to Salix Finance, from revenue, Members queried the contractual arrangements in terms of the energy agreement and were advised by the Head of Service that the contractual arrangements were for a 50 : 50 split between the Council and Parkwood in relation to future savings resulting from reductions in energy usage.
Following consideration of Appendix 1 the issue of a grease duct safety programme was raised with it being noted that this referred to catering activities and the requirement to comply with School Catering Standards. With regard to a query in relation to Pencoedtre Park refurbishment detailed at Appendix 2, it was noted that this should have also been reflected in Appendix 1 of the report with the request for further detail on the underspend to be emailed to Members. The Committee also requested to receive further information in respect of the roof renewals expenditure as to the detail for the additional works that had been required and the resulting overspend.
Having fully considered the report it was subsequently
(1) T H A T the responses to the queries outlined above be e-mailed to Members prior to the next meeting of the Committee.
(2) T H A T recommendations (1-7) contained within the report be noted.
(3) T H A T the following recommendations, as detailed within the report, be referred to Cabinet for consideration and Council for approval:
· Castleland Renewal Area - reduce the current budget to £1.26m (carry forward £445k to 2013/14).
· Carbon Management Fund - reduce the budget to £168k (carry forward £75k into 2013/14).
· Council Chamber Access Improvements - reduce the budget to nil (carry forward £250k into 2013/14).
Reasons for recommendations
(1) To inform Members.
(2) It being noted that other Scrutiny Committees had already been requested to forward the recommendations within their remit to Cabinet and Council.
(3) To obtain approval."
Attached as Appendix - Report to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 19th February, 2013