Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet: 20th May 2013
Report of the Leader
Proposed Disposal of Land at Hensol to Cardiff City Football Club
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek authority to enter into an agreement for lease and thereafter a 150 year lease with Cardiff City Football Club of approximately 37 acres of land at Tynyplancau, Hensol, to enable them to develop the land as training pitches, Professional Squad and Academy buildings for Cardiff City Football Club.
1. That the Managing Director is granted delegated authority in consultation with the Leader and the Head of Legal Services to enter into an Agreement for Lease with Cardiff City Football Club for the land at Tynyplancau Hensol.
2. That the Managing Director is granted delegated authority in consultation with the Leader and the Head of Legal Services to enter into a 150 year lease with Cardiff City Football Club for the land at Tynyplancau, Hensol providing the Club obtaining planning consent for their proposed use..
3. That the Head of Legal Services be authorised to draft, agree and execute the agreement for lease and lease.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. In order to provide a contractual relationship between the Council and the Football Club prior to the Club moving forward with their planning appliction for their proposed use.
2. In order to allow the lease to be entered into.
3. In order to enable the agreement for lease and lease to be completed.
2. As members will no doubt be aware, Cardiff City Football Club have secured promotion to the FA Premier League next season.
3. The Club have approached the Council in respect of their search for a suitable site to develop a new training ground, Pro (Professional) Squad and Academy buildings. They have been looking at various sites in Cardiff and the Vale for a number of months and following a short listing of sites and confirmation of their promotion to the Premier League, have concluded that their preference is to locate their training facilities at the Council owned site at Tynyplancau, Hensol. The land that they are interested in purchasing (by virtue of a long lease) is hatched black on the plan attached as Appendix A and measures circa 37 acres.
4. The land in question is owned by the Council and has in the past been let on an ad hoc basis for cutting purposes albeit there are no Licences or Tenancies relating to this land currently in place.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Cardiff City Football Club has expressed a desire to expand their current training facilities following the promotion of the Club to the Premier League. The training facilities will need to be designed and constructed to the required Football Association Premier League Standards.
6. Officers are advised that the Club will be looking to construct a number of training pitches for both the Pro and Academy squads and provide accommodation for ancillary uses including sports rehabilitation, sports medicine, recovery and physiotherapy.
7. In this regard, there are obvious synergies with the facilities on offer at the neighbouring Vale resort, which has a range of leisure, fitness and sport related facilities on offer.
8. The leasehold disposal of the site will be conditional on the Football Club securing the necessary Planning Consent for the training facilities they are looking to develop and therefore an agreement for lease conditional upon the obtaining of Planning Consent, will need to be entered into which will provide for a contractual relationship with the Club to be created whilst the Planning application process is ongoing.
9. The Football Club have asked that the Council dispose of its land to the Club on a long leasehold basis (150 years).
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
10. The Football Club will be required to make a contribution of £2,500 towards the Councils costs in relation to the transaction.
11. The Council will receive a full Capital receipt by way of a Premium for the leasehold sale of the land certified by an external Chartered Valuation Surveyor and a nominal rental per annum.
12. Legal and Estates Officers time will be involved in agreeing terms for both the Agreement For Lease and the Lease and completing the same.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
13. The Training facilities will be required to be constructed to the standard required by the Football Association Premier League.
14. The facilitation of this proposed new training ground in the Vale of Glamorgan will be a boost to the local economy with the Pro/Academy squads and travelling teams utilising other local facilities in the area.
15. It is also likely that local jobs will be created during the construction phase and thereafter to assist with the running of the facility.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
16. In accordance with S123 of the Local Government Act 1972, the Council is obliged to secure best consideration for all property disposals. There are exemptions to this, however the Council is not relying on such exemptions in this particular case.
17. An agreement for lease will be required to be entered into to enable the Football Club to apply for planning consent under a conditional contract basis. Should planning consent for the training facilities not be forthcoming then the Football Club will not be obliged to enter into the actual lease and the agreement for lease will fall away.
Crime and Disorder Implications
18. Whilst the site remains vacant it may attract anti-social behaviour such as fly-tipping and unlawful occupation of the site.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
19. There are no equal opportunities implications as a direct result of this report.
20. To manage public money and assets well.
Policy Framework and Budget
21. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
22. Local Ward Members have been advised of this report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
23. Corporate Resources.
Lorna Cross, Group Estates Officer, 01446 709307
Rob Thomas, Director of Development Services
Mike Walsh, Legal Property and Contract Team Leader