Agenda Item No
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 29 July 2013
Report of the Leader
Outcome Agreement 2010-2013 - End of Year Report for 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise members of the progress with the achievement of the Outcome Agreement that was negotiated with the Welsh Government (WG) in 2010.
1. That the report on the achievement of the Outcome Agreement with the Welsh Government be endorsed.
2. That the report be forwarded to the Minister for Local Government for assessment.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. So that Cabinet is advised of the achievement of the outcomes listed in the Agreement.
2. In order for WG to release the performance incentive grant.
2. The council entered into three previous agreements with the Welsh Assembly Government (Policy Agreements in 2001-04 and 2004-07 and an Improvement Agreement in 2008-2010). These agreements were based on the premise that the council and WG share common objectives and that agreements could be entered into to assist in achieving these objectives. WG paid a grant to the council to incentivise achievement of targets, to the value of £1.2 million annually. The current Outcome Agreement was signed in February 2011, for the period 2010 - 2013.
3. An incentive grant is paid on a sliding scale based on the extent to which actions and measures have been achieved, and the Council must be able to evidence collaboration in order to secure 100% of the grant. Evidence must be provided annually for each activity/measure to show progress to receive the incentive grant.
4. The agreement sets out actions and performance targets for three years. A report on the actions and measures for 2011-12 achieved 100% of the incentive grant (£1.2 million).
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The attached report at appendix 1 provides details of achievement of actions and performance measures, along with a summary of achievement of the outcomes. A number of performance targets and actions (shaded) were not achieved.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. If successful in achieving our targets, the council could expect to receive £1.2 million. The grant is entirely unhypothecated and is paid into the general funds of the council.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are a number of targets and actions that will contribute to: ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; living within environmental limits; and promoting good governance.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Outcome agreements have no basis in statute. They are therefore voluntary in nature and there are no sanctions relating to non-achievement of targets, apart from the loss of financial incentive.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no activities/indicators in the agreement that relate to crime and disorder.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no activities/indicators contained in the agreement that relate to improving equalities outcomes.
11. The agreement links to the council’s objective of community leadership, and assists in focusing the council’s activities on national objectives. The council and WG jointly negotiate the targets contained within the agreement.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. The Outcome Agreement is a matter of Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Senior officers of the council responsible for the achievement of targets and actions, along with the Corporate Management Team, have been consulted on the content of the report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Prospectus for Outcome Agreements, Welsh Assembly Government.
Beverly Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Tel: 01446 709746 Email: email@example.com .uk
Head of Performance and Improvement
Officers listed as responsible officers within the agreement
Responsible Officer: Sian Davies, Managing Director