Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 7 October, 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Auditor General for Wales: Improvement Assessment Letter September 2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise members of the results of the assessment by the Auditor General for Wales in relation to whether the Council has discharged its statutory duties in respect of improvement planning
1. That the Cabinet considers the contents of the report.
2. That the report be referred to the Audit Committee to keep members informed.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To keep Cabinet informed.
2. To provide for scrutiny and review of the Auditor General's letter.
2. The Auditor General for Wales has a duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure (2009) to report his conclusions on whether the council has acted on its duty to achieve continuous improvement.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Auditor General's letter is attached at Appendix 1. In summary the Auditor General found that:
· The Council has discharged its improvement planning duties under the Measure, setting Improvement Objectives for 2013-14.
· The content of the Improvement Plan incorporates the majority of elements included in the Welsh Government guidance.
· The Council is likely to comply with the requirement to make arrangements to secure continuous improvement during this financial year.
· The arrangements in place to manage the changes in school improvement services are still in the process of development, and the Council cannot currently be confident that the Joint Education Service represents value for money for the Council.
· The Council continues to enhance and improve its performance reporting arrangements.
· Some elected members have participated in our scrutiny learning exchange project.
4. No further proposals for improvement were made. Those contained within the letter were identified in the report on the Joint Education Service.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. Audit and inspection fees for the Council total £277,757 plus VAT for the 2013/14 period.
Legal Implications (to include Human Rights Implications)
6. The Auditor General is required, under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 (the Measure) to report his audit and assessment work in relation to whether the Council has discharged its duties and met the requirements of the Measure.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. None directly.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. None directly.
9. The Corporate Plan 2013/2017 outlines community leadership as a priority for the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. Not applicable
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Corporate Resources
Appendix 1: Auditor General for Wales, Improvement Assessment Letter
Bev Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
All relevant officers have been consulted on the contents of this report including:
Corporate Management Team
Sian Davies, Managing Director