Agenda Item No
Matter for which the Chairman has decided is urgent by reason of the need to take action to complete the improvement works at Fairoaks, Dinas Powys
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 21 October, 2013
Report of the Cabinet Member for Housing and Community Safety
Welsh Housing Quality Standards Works at Fairoaks, Dinas Powys
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the agreement from Cabinet to bring forward capital monies to complete the housing improvement works at Fairoaks, Dinas Powys.
1. That authority be granted to amend the Capital programme and to bring forward £150,000 from 2014 / 2015 into 2013 / 2014 to complete the remaining properties in the Fairoaks area of Dinas Powys.
2. That Cabinet agree the use of the urgency procedure under article 13 of the Council's Constitution in order that immediate action can be taken to ensure improvement works continue at the remaining properties at Fairoaks, Dinas Powys.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. Works at Fairoaks have been completed in a timely manner and high levels of tenant satisfaction have been achieved. Bringing funding forward from next year’s capital programme will allow works to be completed in this financial year.
2. The invoking of the urgency procedure is necessary to allow continuity of work.
2. A four and half year investment programme for Council Housing has been agreed. The investment programme will result in all Council Housing being brought up to the Welsh Housing Quality Standard.
3. In September 2012 works commenced across the County Borough with five contractors, one of which was the Council’s own in house provider, Building Services.
4. Building Services has been allocated the package of WHQS works for sheltered housing. Due to the expedient way in which the programme had been delivered and the ability to fund work in additional homes within the 2013/14 budget half of the homes at Fairoaks, Dinas Powys were brought forward from 2014/15 to 2013/14.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Improvement works to the homes brought forward to 2013/14 have been competed in a timely manner with high levels of tenant satisfaction recorded for the area.
6. Completion of the remainder of the site within this financial year would have benefits in terms of tenants’ satisfaction and preliminaries costs associated with site set up.
7. There are 22 additional properties that would need to be upgraded to complete the improvement works in the Fairoaks area.
8. One hundred and fifty thousand pounds would need to be brought forward to complete the works in this financial year.
9. The Urgent Decision Procedure is requested to allow a continuation of the improvement works to homes in the Fairoaks area.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
10. The improvement works would cost in the region of one hundred and fifty thousand pounds. Funding would be brought forward from the 2014/15 Housing Improvement Programme capital budget.
11. The current Housing Improvement Programme budget for 2013 / 14 is £16,040,000; the 2014 / 2015 budget is £17,212,000. Bringing forward from 2014 / 2015, will not have a significant impact on the funding of the Housing Business Plan.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. Improving homes to the Welsh Housing Quality Standard provides tenants with modern, energy efficient homes.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications associated with the report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. Well maintained homes and neighbourhoods reduce the perception of crime and anti social behaviour in an area.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. The continuation of the scheme at Fairoaks ensures that everyone in the area has the improvement works to their home in one financial year.
16. Vale of Glamorgan residents have access to affordable, good quality suitable housing and housing advice and support.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This report is a matter for Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. Due to the urgency of this matter no ward Member consultation has been undertaken.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
19. Corporate Resources.
Hayley Selway – Head of Housing and Building Services
Tel: 02920 673124
Accountants - Visible Services and Housing
Operational Manager - Legal Services
Miles Punter - Director of Visible Services and Housing