Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 2ND DECEMBER, 2013
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH): 7TH NOVEMBER, 2013
571 CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE SERVICES – COMMISSIONING STRATEGY AND ACTION PLAN 2013-2018 (DSS) –
Committee were updated on progress made in implementing the Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy and Action Plan 2013-18.
In February 2013, Committee considered the draft Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy and Action Plan. Committee recommended that Cabinet endorse the objectives and principles it contained, and asked for regular progress updates.
Following implementation of the Strategy, efforts had focused on the following key areas:
· Preventing children and young people becoming looked after where this was not necessary to safeguard their welfare
· Enabling those that do come into care to be rehabilitated back to their family network where it was safe to do so
· Providing the best possible outcomes for those who remained accommodated.
An updated Action Plan detailing progress to date was attached to the report at Appendix 2.
Successful implementation of the Strategy would require a continuing and co-ordinated effort that built on the achievements above.
At this stage, no additional actions had been included in the Plan but the Directorate would continue to deliver on those in place, focusing on:
· increasing the number of foster carers who could provide respite, with a view to supporting families to stay together
· further developing a range of accommodation options for young people aged 16 plus and care leavers
· through Permanency Panel, ensuring that plans for permanency consider the range of available options and that children do not remain looked after for longer than necessary and that those who need to remain looked after are appropriately matched in their placements
· undertaking a further review of all looked after children to ensure their legal status remains appropriate and, where possible and safe to do so, secure a return to the child’s immediate or extended family
· developing the multi-disciplinary â€œteam around the childâ€ approach to providing placement support to increase stability and reduce disruption.
This work would continue against the backdrop of ongoing robust arrangements in Placement Panel and Complex Needs Panel that sought to ensure all admissions to care were appropriate in the first instance and that, where possible, children were supported to remain within their families.
The Children and Young People Services Divisional Management Team would continue to be responsible for overseeing the delivery of the Action Plan, monitoring the impact on children and their families and driving forward the focus on reducing admissions to care and increasing reunification to family and friends as a key priority for the Directorate.
(1) T H A T the progress made in delivering the Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy and Action Plan be noted.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to Cabinet.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) for information.
(4) T H A T Committee continues to receive six monthly progress updates.
Reason for recommendations
(1-4) To provide Members with opportunities to exercise oversight of a key strategic document for the Council.
Attached as Appendix - Report to Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 7th November, 2013