Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 12 May, 2014
Report of the Leader
Annual Monitoring Report Welsh Language Scheme
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet approval of the annual monitoring report for 2013/14 in respect of the Council's Welsh Language Scheme.
1. That Cabinet approve the report.
2. The report is translated into Welsh and submitted to the Welsh Language Commissioner.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the report is translated and published in time to meet the Welsh Language Commissioner's deadline of the end of June 2014.
2. To ensure a Welsh version of the annual report is made available.
2. Attached at Appendix A is the final English language version of the annual report in respect of the Council's Welsh Language Scheme. The scheme will be replaced by the new Welsh Standards. Any actions not completed will form part of a new action plan as part of the Standards work.
3. Two previous reports have been produced on our scheme and can be viewed on the Council's website.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Council will receive a Compliance Notice from the Welsh Commissioner in December which will outline future requirements in relation to the Welsh Language Measure.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. The report covers 2013/14. Any future resource implications will relate to the new Standards.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. None in respect of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. The annual report is a requirement under current Welsh Language legislation. Future requirements will be determined by the Welsh language Standards agreed for the Council.
10. Corporate objective - Providing leadership and being transparent in our decision-making; delivering the Strategic Equalities Plan.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. Not applicable.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Linda Brown, Corporate Equalities Officer
Tel: 01446 709746 Email: email@example.com
Head of Performance and Development
Sian Davies, Managing Director