Top

Top

Agenda Item No

 

The Vale of Glamorgan Council

 

Cabinet Meeting: 1 December, 2014

 

Report of the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety

 

Supporting People Contract

 

Purpose of the Report

1.         To update Cabinet on the outcome of the re-tendering process undertaken for four existing support services funded by the Supporting People Programme Grant.

2.         To seek approval to enter into a new Contract for the continued provision of the Services.

Recommendations

1.         That the outcome of the Supporting People re-tender be noted.

2.         That permission be given for the Council to enter into a new three year Contract, with the option to extend for a further two years with Gwalia Care and Support.

Reasons for the Recommendations

1.         For information.

2.         To enable the continuation of much needed housing related support services to vulnerable services users.

Background

3.         The Supporting People Programme is the policy and funding framework for delivering housing related support to vulnerable people in different types of accommodation and across all tenures.

4.         The Programme contributes to meeting the aims of 'Improving Lives and Communities - Homes in Wales' the National Housing Strategy and the ten year Homelessness Plan, with a strong emphasis on the prevention of homelessness. Its importance is also recognised in the Housing (Wales) Act 2014 due for implementation in April 2015.

5.         At a local level the Programme takes forward a number of strategic aims, reflecting Homelessness Prevention, Community Safety and Health, Social Care and Wellbeing objectives. It aims to deliver high quality strategically planned housing related support services that are cost effective, complement existing services and provide service users with the best possible outcomes.

Relevant Issues and Options

6.         Following a review of Supporting People commissioned by Welsh Government, new guidance was published in July 2012, which set down a new delivery structure for the Supporting People Programme. It recommended the transfer of all Supporting People funding to local authorities to administer. This transfer of funding took place on 1st November 2012 in the Vale of Glamorgan and from that date the Council was required to put in place interim contracts with all support services previously paid by Welsh Government.

7.         The first of these interim contracts held between the Council and Gwalia Care and Support expired on 31st October 2014 and in line with the Council's financial regulations a retendering exercise was carried out for the following services:

·               Ty Muse - A four unit 24 hour supported housing project for young ex-offenders or those in danger of offending aged between 16 and 21 years of age.

·               Bawden House - A six unit supported housing project for ex-offenders or those in danger of offending aged between 18 and 60 years of age.

·               A three unit floating support service attached to Ty Muse and Bawden House to provide support to the service users moving out of the project into their own home to assist them to live independently and integrate into the community.

·               The Ffynnon Project - A three unit floating support service provided to service users with drug and/or alcohol issues who live in their own home.

8.         The retendering exercise was undertaken in accordance with the Supporting People Commissioning Framework Agreement approved by Cabinet 6th July 2011 (Cabinet Minute C1364). This requires the Council to issue an invitation to tender to the top three scoring support providers and the existing support provider for these service user groups. One support provider declined the invitation, leaving the remaining three providers Gwalia Care and Support, Solas Cymru and the Wallich to tender.

9.         As the three support providers had already met the Council's service and organisational requirements and were part of the Commissioning Framework the scoring was set at 60% for price and 40% for quality.

10.      The Tender Panel consisted of the Strategy and Supporting People Manager, the Housing Strategy Officer and a representative of the Vale Council for Voluntary Services and the final results were as follows:

 

Gwalia Care & Support  Price 60%              Quality 38.36%          Total 98.36%

Solas Cymru                    Price 54.20%       Quality 36.08%        Total 90.28%

The Wallich                    Price 41.16%       Quality 40%             Total 81.16%      

 

11.      As the existing support provider Gwalia Care and Support scored the highest tender score, it will mean that there are no Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 1981 (TUPE) implications for these services and current service users are able to continue to receive the service without any disruption.

Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)

12.      The value of the new Contract from 1st November 2014 has reduced by 1.54%; however there are no direct financial implications for the Council as the Welsh Government provides the Supporting People Programme Grant which funds these services.

Sustainability and Climate Change Implications

13.      None.

Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)

14.      The Commissioning Framework Agreement was established in consultation with the Legal Department and Procurement Services in the Council.

15.      The Supporting People Contract will be in a standard format as drafted by Legal Services that is consistent with Welsh Government requirements for this type of funding.

Crime and Disorder Implications

16.      There are no negative crime and disorder implications arising from the report. The continuation of good quality support services will support vulnerable clients and the Community Safety Strategy.

Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)

17.      The continuation of these projects will do much to improve the quality of life of some of the most socially and economically disadvantaged people in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Corporate/Service Objectives

18.      This report is consistent with the Corporate Objective of the Council:

Housing:

Vale of Glamorgan residents have access to affordable, good quality suitable housing and housing advice and support.

Policy Framework and Budget

19.      This report is a matter for Executive decision.

Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)

20.      These services are delivered throughout the Vale of Glamorgan; therefore no individual ward member consultation has been undertaken.

Relevant Scrutiny Committee

21.      Housing and Public Protection.

Background Papers

(i)         Welsh Government Document - Supporting People Programme Grant (SPPG) Guidance (Wales) July 2012 (updated June 2013).

Contact Officer

Pam Toms, Strategy & Supporting People Manager, Housing Services. (01446) 709788

 

Officers Consulted

Lori Bigglestone, Accountant, Resource Management

Legal Services - Committee Reports

 

Responsible Officer:

Miles Punter - Director of Visible Services and Housing.

 

 

Share on facebook Like us on Facebook