Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 26 January, 2015
Report of the Cabinet Member for Children's Services and Schools
Instrument of Government for Dinas Powys Primary School
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet approval of the name of the newly amalgamated school in Dinas Powys.
1. That Cabinet approve the attached Instrument of Government and consequently the name of the newly amalgamated school in Dinas Powys as Dinas Powys Primary School.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the naming of this school complies with the legal framework.
2. Cabinet has previously approved the proposal to amalgamate Dinas Powys Infant and Murch Junior Schools with effect from 5 January 2015 (Minute No. C2561).
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Governing Body must submit its draft Instrument of Government to the Council for making in accordance with the legislation listed below under Legal Implications. This is the legal process for naming a new school.
4. The governing body of Dinas Powys Infant School approved the draft Instrument of Government (attached at Appendix 1) on 24 November 2014. This governing body becomes the governing body of the primary school as the age range of the Infant School has been extended to accommodate the pupils of Murch Junior School. It has decided to increase its size to 18 governors to reflect the change to a primary school.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. None directly arising from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. This report and its recommendation comply with the Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly arising from this report.
10. This amalgamation is consistent with aims of the Corporate Plan 2013-17.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. Ward member consultation is not applicable.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Lifelong Learning.
The Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005.
Paula Ham, Head of Strategy, Community Learning & Resources
Director of Learning and Skills