Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 23 February, 2015
Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation
Proposed Restructure of a Team within the Development Services Directorate
Purpose of the Report
1. This report parallels a Part II Cabinet Report of the same title. It relates to proposed changes to a team within the Development Services Directorate.
1. That Cabinet agrees the restructure as set out in the Part II report.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To achieve essential savings in costs.
2. There is an urgent need to reduce costs within the team in question.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Team in question provides a range of functions and carries out support functions and also receives income for carrying out some of its work. Economic factors have led to a reduction in the support services receiving considerable income. It has therefore become necessary to restructure the Team and reduce in scale to match both the demand for services and the income available to cover costs. These are set out in detail in the Part II report.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
4. There may be financial implications to the Council in respect of potential redundancy costs that will be funded from existing Development Services budgets. However, the Council’s Avoiding Redundancy Procedure will apply and opportunities for redeployment within the Council will be actively sought throughout this process.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
5. There are no implications to report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. There are employment law implications and may require specialist advice to be taken.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
7. An Equalities Impact Scoping Exercise was undertaken which determined a full Equalities Impact Assessment is not required.
8. This proposal seeks to achieve a balanced budget and efficient working practices.
Policy Framework and Budget
9. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
10. The relevant staff and trade unions will continue to be engaged as part of the formal consultation arrangements in respect of the restructuring proposals. No Ward Members have been consulted on this report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
11. Economy and Environment.
Rob Thomas, Director of Development Services - Tel. 01446 704630
Committee Reports - Legal
Operational Manager, Human Resources
Operational Manager, Accountancy
Rob Thomas - Director of Development Services