Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 09 March, 2015
Report of the Returning Officer
Leave with Pay - Election duties on 7 May 2015
Purpose of the Report
1. To agree for Vale of Glamorgan employees to claim leave with pay on Thursday 7 May 2015 if they are appointed as Presiding Officer or Poll Clerk at polling stations in the Cardiff South and Penarth constituency, and employed by Cardiff Council.
1. That Cabinet agree for Vale of Glamorgan employees to claim leave with pay on 7 May 2015 if they are appointed as Presiding Officer or Poll Clerk at polling stations in the Cardiff South and Penarth constituency.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To extend existing special leave arrangement for 7 May 2015.
2. The Council's current Special Leave Scheme allows employees wishing to serve as a poll clerk, presiding officer or other electoral roles in respect of elections / counts administered by the Vale of Glamorgan Council, leave with pay.
3. The current Special Leave Scheme does not cover Vale of Glamorgan employees who undertake election roles with neighbouring Local Authorities.
4. For the UK Parliamentary Election scheduled on Thursday 7 May 2015, polling stations under the Cardiff South and Penarth constituency will be administered through Cardiff County Council.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Approximately 35-40 Vale of Glamorgan employees will be approached to work on Poll Day by Electoral Services in Cardiff Council.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. Subject to supervisor approval a number of employees will not be available for work in their service areas on Thursday 7 May 2015.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. None directly associated with this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. None directly associated with this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. None directly associated with this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. None directly associated with this report.
11. To ensure the UK Parliamentary election runs successfully and is resourced adequately.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Given the nature of the report no external or member consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Special Leave Scheme
Rebecca Light, Electoral Registration Manager
Sian Davies, Managing Director
Debbie Marles, Returning Officer