Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 23 March, 2015
Report of the Leader
Cyd Cymru - Wales Together
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Cabinet in respect of monies received from Cardiff Council in respect of the Cyd Cymru - Wales Together collective energy switching project which is being led by the City of Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan Councils.
1. That a donation of £2370.53 be paid to Vale Foodbank to be split equally between the four Vale of Glamorgan distribution centres which are; Barry Tennyson Road, Barry St Marys Church Holton Road, Dinas Powys and Llantwit Major.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To provide funds to organisations as required.
2. During year 1 the project successfully helped over 1,500 households in Wales to switch to a cheaper energy tariff. For every person that switches with Cyd Cymru - Wales Together money is paid by the energy supplier to a Community Fund. For 2013/14 these switches generated just over £19,000 for the Community Fund.
3. The fund is to be distributed to Local Authorities across Wales based on the number of switchers in each area.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Authority has received a cheque of £2,370.53 for its Community Fund for year 1 of Cyd Cymru - Wales Together.
5. It is was agreed by the Cyd Cymru - Wales Together Project Board that the Community Fund will be donated to a local charity of the Authority's choice or spent on local initiatives that support and benefit communities on fuel poverty alleviation and energy efficiency in the Authority's area.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, as appropriate)
6. There are no financial implications to the Authority.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. To comply with the agreed use of the Community Fund.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. There are no Crime and Disorder Implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. There are no Equal Opportunities Implications arising out of this report.
10. To benefit communities in the Authority's area.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. No consultation or Ward Member Consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not Ward specific
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Letter received from City of Cardiff Council.
Tel: 01446 709252.