Top

Top

Agenda Item No

The Vale of Glamorgan Council

Cabinet Meeting: 23 March, 2015

Report of the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety

Supporting People Contract

Purpose of the Report

1. To update Cabinet on the outcome of a tendering process undertaken for a new   support service for clients with mental health issues.

 

2. To seek approval to enter into a new Contract for the provision of the service.

Recommendations

1. That the outcome of the Supporting People tender be noted and dealt with under the Part II item later on in the agenda.

Reasons for the Recommendations

1. To enable a new and much needed housing related support service for vulnerable services users to start.

Background

3. The Supporting People Programme is the policy and funding framework for delivering housing related support to vulnerable people in different types of accommodation and across all tenures.

 

4. The Programme contributes to meeting the aims of 'Improving Lives and Communities - Homes in Wales' the National Housing Strategy and the ten year Homelessness Plan, with a strong emphasis on the prevention of homelessness. Its importance is also recognised in the Housing (Wales) Act 2014 due for implementation in April 2015.

 

5. At a local level the Programme takes forward a number of strategic aims, reflecting Homelessness Prevention, Community Safety and Health, Social Care and Wellbeing objectives. It aims to deliver high quality, strategically planned housing related support services that are cost effective, complement existing services and provide service users with the best possible outcomes.

 

6. In accordance with Welsh Government Guidance for Supporting People, all local authorities are required to develop a three year Local Commissioning Plan each year and to include a list of future service priorities which are determined following an analysis of the client need data collected.

 

7. The Local Commissioning Plan 2014 to 2017 approved by Cabinet on 13th January 2014 (Cabinet Minutes C2159) evidenced the need to develop a new support service for clients with mental health issues, to be delivered in conjunction with the Community Mental Health Team which will provide assistance with medication and ensure that clients remain stable in the community.

Relevant Issues and Options

8. A tendering exercise for this new service was undertaken in accordance with the Supporting People Commissioning Framework Agreement approved by Cabinet 6th July 2011 (Cabinet Minute C1364). This required the Council to issue an invitation to tender to the top three scoring support providers for this service user group. The three support providers in this instance (Hafod Care, Llamau and Solas) all submitted tenders for the service.

 

9. As the three support providers had already met the Council's service and organisational requirements and were part of the Commissioning Framework the scoring was set at 60% for price and 40% for quality.

 

10. The Tender Panel consisted of the Strategy and Supporting People Manager, Housing Strategy Officer, Operational Manager Mental Health Vale of Glamorgan and Cardiff Councils and the Mental Health Housing Officer for the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board. The final results were as follows:

 

Hafod Care Price 53.1% Quality 40% Total 93.1%
Llamau Price 44.78% Quality 36.64% Total 81.42%
Solas Price 60% Quality 36.12% Total 96.12%


11. Solas therefore achieved the highest tender score.

Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)

12. The full value of this contract is discussed under Resource Implications in the Part II report to follow. However, there are no direct financial implications for the Council as the Welsh Government provides the Supporting People Programme Grant which will fund this service.

Sustainability and Climate Change Implications

13. None.

Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)

14. The Commissioning Framework Agreement was established in consultation with the Legal Department and Procurement Services in the Council.

 

15. It will be necessary for a form of Contract to be agreed and executed by the Head of Legal Services that is consistent with Welsh Government requirements for this type of funding.

Crime and Disorder Implications

16. There are no negative crime and disorder implications arising from the report. The provision of good quality support services will support vulnerable clients and the Community Safety Strategy.

Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)

17. This new project will do much to improve the quality of life of some of the most socially and economically disadvantaged people in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Corporate/Service Objectives

18. This report is consistent with the Corporate Objective of the Council:

Housing:  Vale of Glamorgan residents have access to affordable, good quality suitable housing and housing advice and support.

Policy Framework and Budget

19. This is a matter for Executive decision.

Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)

20. These services are delivered throughout the Vale of Glamorgan; therefore, no individual ward member consultation has been undertaken.

Relevant Scrutiny Committee

21. Housing and Public Protection.

Background Papers

(i) Welsh Government Document - Supporting People Programme Grant (SPPG) Guidance (Wales) July 2012 (updated June 2013).

Contact Officer

Pam Toms, Strategy & Supporting People Manager, Housing Services. (01446) 709788

Officers Consulted

Lori Bigglestone, Accountant, Resource Management

Legal Services - Committee Reports

Responsible Officer:

Miles Punter - Director of Visible Services and Housing.