Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 27 April, 2015
Report of the Cabinet Member for Children's Services and Schools
Education Asset Renewal Building Programme 2015/16
Purpose of the Report
1. To gain Cabinet's approval for the allocation of the 2015/16 Education Asset Renewal budget.
1. It is recommended that Cabinet approve the funding of the proposed schemes, as detailed in Appendix 1, from the 2015/16 Education Asset Renewal budget.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To allocate the 2015/16 Education Asset Renewal budget and enable procurement to commence.
2. Council on 4th March 2015, minute number 940, approved the 2015/16 Capital Programme. £900k was approved for Education Asset Renewal works, with a further £50k budget allocated as a contingency.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. It is necessary to draw up a programme of schemes to be funded from the Education Asset Renewal budget. A prioritised list of schemes has been developed by the Schools Planning and Buildings Manager, in consultation with the various departments, by adopting the following criteria and processes.
Extracting from completed Property Condition Surveys, works that have been identified as high priority status.
Utilising an existing backlog list of prioritised schemes which has been reviewed and updated throughout the year.
Feedback from regular meetings between officers from both Property and Building Services who have first-hand knowledge of many of the properties.
4. The proposed programme is shown in Appendix 1, attached to this report.
5. The Education Asset Renewal programme is treated as a single overall scheme. Council, on 4th March 2015, also approved that the Managing Director or the Head of Finance, in consultation with the Cabinet Member responsible for Finance, be given delegated authority to make additions, deletions or transfers to or from the 2015/16 to 2019/20 Asset Renewal budgets as appropriate.
6. In order for the procurement process to commence as soon as possible, Emergency Powers have been obtained for the approval of the following allocations from this budget :-
£250k allocated for Ysgol Bro Morgannwg kitchen roof renewal,
£10k allocated for Llanfair Primary kitchen floor, and,
£120k allocated for Peterston-Super-Ely Primary to renew electric heaters,
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. The 2015/16 Education Asset Renewal schemes are funded from the School Investment Strategy Reserve.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. All capital programme works are carried out to meet current Building Regulations and good practice and will, wherever possible, reduce the energy use and CO2 emissions from schools.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. There are no equal opportunity implications.
12. To improve the condition of Council's property stock.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. Consultation has taken place with relevant officers from the Service Directorate and building users. Ward Member consultation is not required as this is a matter that is Vale wide and not Ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Lifelong Learning
Schools Planning and Buildings Manager
Paula Ham, Head of Strategy, Community Learning and Resources
Jane Wade, Operational Manager (Property)
Vicky Williams, Capital Accountant.
Director of Learning and Skills