Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 27 April, 2015
Report of the Leader
Interim Senior Management Arrangements
Purpose of the Report
1. To ask Cabinet to consider interim management arrangements for the Development Services Directorate from the 1 May 2015.
1. That Members consider the interim management arrangements for the Development Services Directorate as set out in paragraphs 4 to 8 of this report following the appointment of the current Director as Managing Director from 1 May 2015.
2. That recommendation 1 be dealt with under Article 13.09 of the Council's Constitution (Urgent Decision Procedure).
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure interim management arrangements for the Development Services Directorate from 1st May 2015 and pending consideration of more substantive restructuring proposals.
2. To ensure that management arrangements and the necessary delegations are in place from 1 May 2015.
2. Members will be aware that Council ratified the appointment of the current Director of Development Services as Managing Director at the meeting on 25 March 2015. The appointment of the new Managing Director will take effect from 1 May 2015.
3. Consideration however, needs to be given to ensure interim senior management cover arrangements are in place in the Development Services Directorate from 1 May 2015.
Relevant issues and options
4. In accordance with the above it is proposed that, as an interim measure, the current Director of Visible Services and Housing assumes temporary management responsibility for the Development Services Directorate as from 1st May 2015 (together with the associated functions and delegations of the Director of Development Services).
5. Such responsibility to be undertaken alongside the current responsibilities of the Director of Visible Services and Housing and pending a more substantive review of senior management arrangements.
6. This interim arrangement will mean that the following additional officers will report to the Director of Visible Services and Housing for the interim period:-
Head of Shared Regulatory Services
Operational Manager - Development Control
Operational Manager - Planning and Transportation Policy
Operational Manager - Countryside and Economic Projects
Operational Manager - Leisure and Tourism
Major Project Managers - Project Management Unit
Business Support Officer - Development Services
7. It is felt that the above will be the least disruptive in management arrangements over what will be a transitional period and is appropriate given the obvious links between the two Directorates.
8. Members will appreciate, however, that the arrangement can only be seen as a short term interim measure pending the formulation of more substantive restructuring proposals and a subsequent report to Council as soon as possible.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
9. The report seeks to address a short term management resource issue pending more substantive restructuring proposals. There are no financial implications arising from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
10. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. None identified.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. None identified.
14. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. The interim management arrangement has been discussed with all Group Leaders, the Corporate Management Team, Senior Managers in both the Development Directorate and the Visible Services and Housing Directorate and the recognised trade unions.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources, Economy & Environment, Housing & Public Protection
18. Report to Council on 17 December 2014
Head of Legal Services
Corporate Management Team
Head of Human Resources
Senior Managers - Development Services Directorate
Senior Managers - Visible Services and Housing
Head of Legal Services