Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Report: 27 April, 2015
Report of the Leader
Welsh Language Scheme Annual Monitoring Report 2014-15
Purpose of the Report
1. To produce an update for the Welsh Commissioner on achievement of actions in the Scheme.
1. Cabinet approve the report which is attached as Appendix A which needs to be translated and published by 30th June.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the report is published by the deadline.
2. This is the final report in respect of the Council's Welsh Language Scheme. The scheme will be replaced by the new Welsh Standards. Any actions not completed will form part of a new action plan.
3. Three previous reports have been produced and can be viewed on the Council's website.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Council will receive a Compliance Notice from the Welsh Commissioner by the end of June 2015. This will outline future requirements in relation to the Welsh Language Measure.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. The report covers the period 2014/15. Any future resource implications will relate to the new Standards.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly relevant to this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The current scheme was prepared under the Welsh Language Act 1993.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None directly relevant to this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. The annual report is a requirement under current Welsh language legislation.
10. Community Leadership/Customer Focus
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. Not applicable
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Welsh Language Scheme
Corporate Management Team
Huw Isaac, Head of Performance and Development