The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 29 June, 2015
Report of the Leader
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Overpayment
Purpose of the Report
1. This report parallels a Part II Cabinet Report of the same title. It relates to a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit overpayment debt write off.
1. That Cabinet approves the write off of outstanding Housing Benefit overpayment and Council Tax Benefit.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To deal with an overpayment to a Housing and Council Tax Benefit claimant who has very limited capability to deal with personal financial affairs.
2. This case involves a disabled Housing and Council Tax Benefit claimant with exceptional mitigating personal circumstances.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The matter was referred to the Council’s Internal Audit section to establish the facts and to allow a considered proposal to be made.
4. Each case is taken on its individual merits and a person’s ability to deal with their personal financial matters is a major consideration.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. Adequate provision is made in the Council’s accounts in respect of unrecoverable debts.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The matter is complies with the Financial Regulations of the Council.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. The payment of HB/CTB comes under the priority outcome of Community Leadership.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Revenue and Benefit Manager
Tel (01446 709310)
Council Tax Manager
Senior Benefits Officer
Alan Jenkins - Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer