The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 13 July, 2015
Report of the Cabinet Member for Children's Services and Schools
Instrument of Government for Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet approval of the proposed name of the amalgamated Welsh medium school in Barry as Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg.
1. That Cabinet approve the attached Instrument of Government and consequently the name of the amalgamated school in Barry as Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the naming of this school complies with the legal framework.
2. The Council has previously approved the proposal to amalgamate Ysgol Gyfun Bro Morgannwg and Ysgol Nant Talwg to become Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg with effect from 1 September 2015.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The governing body must submit its draft Instrument of Government to the Local Authority for making in accordance with the legislation listed below under Legal Implications. This is the legal process for naming a new school.
4. The federated governing body of Ysgol Gyfun Bro Morgannwg and Ysgol Nant Talwg approved the draft Instrument of Government (attached at Appendix 1) on 17 June 2015. This governing body becomes the governing body of the newly amalgamated school with slight alterations to its membership to comply with the Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. None directly arising from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. This report and its recommendation comply with the Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly arising from this report.
10. This amalgamation is consistent with aims of the Corporate Plan 2013-17.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. Ward member consultation is not applicable.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Lifelong Learning.
Instrument of Government of Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg (Appendix 1).
The Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005.
Paula Ham, Head of Strategy, Community Learning & Resources
Director of Learning and Skills