THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 13TH JULY, 2015
REFERENCE FROM COMMUNITY LIAISON COMMITTEE: 2ND JULY, 2015
67 UPDATE ON THE ACTION PLAN FOR THE CHARTER BETWEEN THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL AND TOWN AND COMMUNITY COUNCILS (MD) –
For the benefit of new members of the Committee, the Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer advised that a Charter had been developed between Town and Community Councils and the Vale in 2008, and had been accompanied by an Action Plan which had subsequently been revised in 2014 and agreed by the Community Liaison Committee and the Vale Council’s Cabinet.
In preparing the Charter and the action plan a working group had been established which had consisted of representatives of the Vale and Town and Community Councils. Following submission of the action plan the Community Liaison Committee had recommended that progress on the Plan be presented to the Committee on an annual basis.
To date the report outlined that 24 Town and Community Councils throughout the Vale had adopted the Charter, which, although not legally binding, was a written partnership agreement between the parties. All Clerks and Town and Community Councils had been forwarded a copy of the Action Plan in order to complete the progress column and ten responses had been received prior to the meeting.
The Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer confirmed that progress had been made on a number of the actions and that further updates would be presented in due course as part of the Committee’s continuing monitoring role. The report also made reference to actions that related to information and communication and the statutory guidance that had been provided by Welsh Government to Town and Community Councils in fulfilling their duties. This document was also available on the Welsh Government’s website via the link http://gov.wales/?skip=1&lang=en.
Having considered the report it was subsequently
(1) T H A T the progress made with the Action Plan be noted.
(2) T H A T the Action Plan be referred to Cabinet for information.
(3) T H A T further update reports on the progress of the Action Plan be presented to the Community Liaison Committee on an annual basis.
Reasons for recommendations
(1) To ensure that the Committee is made aware of the progress made with the Action Plan and to work towards implementation of the principles agreed in the Charter.
(2) To that Cabinet is aware of the progress made with the Action Plan.
(3) To ensure that progress is made in achieving the agreed actions within the Charter Action Plan and that the Committee is apprised accordingly.”
Attached as Appendix - Report to Community Liaison Committee - 2nd July, 2015