Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Community Liaison Committee: 29th January 2013
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Code of Conduct Training for Councillors
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise members of the Committee of training that has been offered to all Town and Community Councillors following the Local Government elections in May 2012.
That the contents of the report be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To advise members of training offered throughout the year.
The Terms of Reference of the Council's Standards Committee include to advise, train or arrange to train councillors on matters relating to the Members’ Code of Conduct. (The full Terms of Reference can be found on the Vale of Glamorgan Council's Constitution at Article 9 via the following link: http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/our_council/council/constitution.aspx)
Relevant Issues and Options
2. Following the local government elections in May 2012, training on Code of Conduct matters was provided to Vale of Glamorgan Councillors on 15th and 17th May 2012, and conducted by the then Monitoring Officer, Mr. Peter Evans.
3. With regard to Town and Community Councils, training for Members and Clerks has been provided by the organisation One Voice Wales "The Voice of Town and Community Councils in Wales" with the cost being met by the Vale of Glamorgan Council. The training sessions were held on the following dates:
20th October 2012
30th October 2012
8th November 2012
14th November 2012.
4. The records indicate that a total number of 55 individuals attended the training sessions which included members and/or clerks of various Town and Community Councils. However, whilst 5 of the 26 Town and Community Councils had not been represented, it should be pointed out that training had also been provided separately for Town and Community Councils immediately following the elections in May 2012 by One Voice Wales. The Council, however, has no information on which Town and Community Councils were represented at that time.
5. The overall feedback received from the sessions was that they had been well presented and were clear and concise. A number of the attendees also stated that the delivery was excellent, with good, useful exercises and an excellent balance of information.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. The cost to the Vale of Glamorgan Council for the training was £350 per session.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report does not affect the Council's policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. No consultation was required.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Schedule of attendees at each session and feedback forms.
Karen Bowen, tel: 01446 709856, e-mail: email@example.com
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager Democratic Services
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer