Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Community Liaison Committee: 20th March 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Update report on the Charter Between the Vale of Glamorgan Council and Town and Community Councils
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide the Community Liaison Committee with an update on the progress in relation to the review of the Charter between the Vale of Glamorgan Council and Town and Community Councils.
That the contents of the report be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To apprise the Committee.
2. The Committee agreed a Charter between the Vale of Glamorgan Council and Town and Community Councils in November 2007 which was subsequently agreed by the Vale of Glamorgan Council's Cabinet in February 2008.
3. The Charter outlines the aims on which the Unitary Council and Town and Community Councils wish to work together for the benefit of local communities whilst also recognising their respective responsibilities as autonomous democratically elected statutory bodies. The Charter and its action plan covers a number of areas which include recognition, local governance, consultation, information and communication, joint working and engagement, land use planning, practical support, ethics and financial arrangements etc.
4. At its meeting on 23rd October 2012 the Committee considered a report which advised that a new Charter and Action Plan should be developed following the Local Government elections and that a working group should be set up to undertake this work.
5. Following consideration of the report the following recommendations were made:
(i) That the Working Group consists of Elected Members from Town and Community Councils, the Vale of Glamorgan Council and that the invitations be extended by the Democratic Services Officer.
(ii) That the timetable for the review of the Charter be amended to read that the second draft Charter be referred to the Cabinet following full consideration by individual Town and Community Councils and the Community Liaison Committee.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. In light of the above recommendations a letter was sent to all Town and Community Council representatives and Vale of Glamorgan Councillors on the Community Liaison Committee asking for nominations to sit on a Charter Working Group. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, e.g. the inclement weather in January, the first meeting of the Working Group took place on 12th February 2013.
7. A revised Charter has been prepared and confirmation of the revisions is currently being undertaken with representatives of the Group. The revised version will be brought to the Committee in due course.
8. For Members' information the representatives on the Group are:
Councillor C.P.J. Elmore (Chairman of the Community Liaison Committee)
Councillor J. Evans (Barry Town Council)
Councillor M. Marsh (Llantwit Major Town Council)
Councillor M. Cuddy (Penarth Town Council)
Councillor Mrs. G. Marks (Michaelston le Pit Community Council)
Councillor Ms. G. Rawson (St. Nicholas and Bonvilston Community Council).
Officers from the Vale of Glamorgan Council are also in attendance.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
9. There are no immediate financial implications as a result of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
10. Sustainability is a key priority for the Charter.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. The Charter is a working partnership agreement but not legally binding.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. None arising directly from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. None arising directly from this report.
14. Community Leadership.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for effective decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. Town and Community Councils will be consulted on the actions attributed to them.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources.
A Shared Community: relationship building and charte s for unitary authorities and community and town councils issued by the Welsh Government
Current Charter and Action Plan between the Vale of Glamorgan Council and Signatory Town and Community Councils
Beverly Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Operational Manager - Democratic Services
Siân Davies, Managing Director