Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Community Liaison Committee: 8 July 2014
Report of the Managing Director
Williams Commission Report
Purpose of the Report
1. To draw the Williams Commission report to the Committee's attention to aid discussion of the report's proposals as they relate to Town and Community Councils..
1. Notes the report of the Williams Commission on Public Service Governance and Delivery as it relates to Town and Community Councils and Barry Town Council's response to the report.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To enable discussion of the Commission's proposals by this Committee.
2. Barry Town Council wrote to the Vale of Glamorgan Council on 14 April 2014 (Appendix A) drawing attention to the Town Council's response to the Williams Commission's report and asking for the report to be included as an agenda item on the next Community Liaison Committee agenda.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Williams Commission on Public Governance and Delivery was set up by Welsh Government and reported in January 2014, making a number of recommendations. Among those recommendations was that Town and Community Councils should be merged to form larger authorities (as was also recommended for Unitary Councils). Since January 2014 the report has been the subject of discussion within political parties in Wales, but Welsh Government has not formally responded to it. It is understood that Welsh Government will shortly be setting out its response and issuing a White Paper on changes to be made to local government. Until this response is published the report has no formal status and remains simply the views of the Commission.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
4. None as a result of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
5. None as result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. None as a result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. None as a result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. None as a result of this report
9. Not applicable.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. Not applicable
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Corporate Resources
Williams Commission report [http://wales.gov.uk/topics/improvingservices/public-service-governance-and-delivery/report/?lang=en] .
Huw Isaac, Head of Performance and Development - 01446 709760