Agenda Item No. 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Community Liaison Committee: 2nd June 2015
Report of the Managing Director and Project Sponsor for Reshaping Services Town and Community Councils Project
Reshaping Services Programme - Expressions of Interest
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise the Community Liaison Committee of an "Expressions of Interest" questionnaire that has been forwarded to the Chairmen and Clerks of all Town and Community Councils (TCCs) for consideration and completion.
1. That Committee notes that the Expressions of Interest form and accompanying letter, attached at Appendix A to the report have been forwarded to the Chairmen and Clerks of all Town and Community Councils to be returned by 3rd July 2015.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To apprise Committee.
2. On 3rd November 2014 Cabinet approved the Reshaping Services Strategy which had been developed following a programme of consultation and engagement with key stakeholder groups, including briefing sessions for Members and officers.
3. The Reshaping Services Strategy provides a framework for the Council to work within for the next three to five years and implementation of the Strategy would be consistent with the Council's project management toolkit, including consideration and sustainability, equality and legislative requirements.
4. The Council's budget has been under pressure for a number of years with £28.8m in savings identified between 2010/11 and 2014/15. Further substantial savings are necessary in 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18. Failure to deliver the required level of savings will not be an option for the Council and the scale of the challenges means that the "business as usual" approach, however well managed, will not be enough.
5. The challenges are therefore to consider alternative delivery models for services across the Vale being essential to mitigate the impact of cuts and assisting in continuing to provide priority services. The Reshaping Services Strategy is being implemented by the new Corporate Change Programme for the Council.
6. To date the Challenge Group has met to identify two tranches of service specific projects and a series of corporate projects. The Challenge Group comprises the Leader, Deputy Leader and portfolio holder of the service area and is supported by the Managing Director, Head of Finance, Head of Human Resources, Head of Performance and Development, the relevant Service Director and Executive Director of the Vale Council for Voluntary Services.
7. A Programme Board is responsible for the operational delivery of the Reshaping Services Programme and will manage the overall Programme in all its aspects. Members of the Board include the Leader, Corporate Management Team, the Head of Human Resources and Executive Director of the Vale Council for Voluntary Services, the Sponsor of the Programme being the Managing Director. A representative from TCCs on the Programme Board is the subject of a separate report to this Committee meeting. A Reshaping Services Programme Team has also been established which includes officers from within the Council from various service areas with key stakeholders and specialist officers to be called upon as necessary.
8. During the course of the Programme update reports are to be made to various stakeholders including the Local Service Board, Community Liaison Committee and the Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee. The Community Liaison Committee received an update report on the development of the Reshaping Services Programme at its meeting in January 2015.
9. The Council recognises that TCCs have an important role in representing local communities and could play an important role in informing the development of the Reshaping Services Agenda with regard to concepts such as demand management. It is for this reason that one of these corporate projects involves developing the work being undertaken with TCCs, and the third (not for profit) sector.
10. A project team has been established to deliver the TCC project. The Council's Head of Performance and Development (Huw Isaac) is the project's sponsor and the Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer (Karen Bowen) is the project manager. A team of Council officers has been nominated to support the delivery of this project. This project team will be joined by representatives from the Voluntary Sector, One Voice Wales and, subject to a separate report to this Committee's meeting, Vale of Glamorgan TCCs.
Relevant Issues and Options
11. A letter and Expressions of Interest Form (attached at Appendix A) have been prepared by the project team and approved by the Reshaping Services Programme Board. The letter and form have been developed in order to progress further discussions with TCCs and seek further information to help inform the project.
12. The letter and Expressions of Interest form is being sent to the Chairmen and Clerks of TCCs for completion and it has been requested that the form is returned to Karen Bowen, Democratic Services Officer, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd July 2015.
13. Following consideration and analysis of these initial Expressions of Interest, further discussions will then be able to be arranged with the respective Councils in order to identify next steps.
14. The Committee is asked to note this part of the process which will provide information to the Vale Council in respect of the services that the TCCs themselves are currently responsible for. It will also provide an opportunity for TCCs to express an interest in particular services, currently undertaken by the Vale, which they may be interested in taking on. For Committee's information, a number of TCCs have asked the Council for Expressions of Interest forms to be prepared.
15. The Council is aware that there will no doubt be a number of questions / issues to be raised / addressed throughout the process and is keen to engage with TCCs as part of its Reshaping Services Agenda. The information received as a result of issuing the letter and Expressions of Interest form are an important way of identifying and responding to these potential questions and issues.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
16. None as a direct result of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
17. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
18. None as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
19. These implications will be considered as part of any specific projects progressed under the Reshaping Services programme.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
20. These implications will be considered as part of any specific projects progressed under the Reshaping Services programme.
21. The Council's Corporate Plan for 2013-17 provides the overall set of objectives within which the Change Programme will happen.
Policy Framework and Budget
22. This is a matter for Executive decision by Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
23. This is a corporate issue that does not require specific ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
24. Corporate Resources.
Reshaping Services Strategy.
Mrs. Karen Bowen, Democratic and Scrutiny Committee Officer
Reshaping Services Programme Board
Reshaping Services - Town and Community Councils Project Team
Head of Performance and Development
Tom Bowring - Business Improvement Manager
Rob Thomas, Managing Director