Agenda Item No. 9
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 25th April, 2012
Report of the Head of Human Resources
Appointment / Designation of Head of Paid Service
Purpose of the Report
1. To comply with requirements of the Council's Constitution in dealing with the appointment / designation of Head of Paid Service.
That S. Davies, as Director of Resources / Managing Director (Honorarium) be formally designated the Council's Head of Paid Service, as from 1st August 2012.
Reason for the Recommendation
To comply with the fact that the designation of the Head of Paid Service is a mandatory Council function as prescribed in the Constitution.
2. A detailed series of recommendations of Cabinet of 14th March, 2012 were submitted to, and approved by, Council on 16th April, 2012. The recommendations included the progressing of arrangements for the matching of an officer to the new role of Director of Resources and, subsequently, appointment to the role of Managing Director (the latter being on a three year honorarium basis from 1st August 2012 and to be in addition to the substantive role of Director of Resources).
Relevant Issues and Options
3. In accordance with the decision of Council of 16th April, the Senior Management Appointment Panel met on 17th April 2012 and resolved that S. Davies, the current Director of Finance, ICT and Property be matched (in accordance with the Council's Avoiding Redundancy Policy) to the role of Director of Resources and appointed to the role of Managing Director (the latter on the honorarium basis alluded to above).
4. The job description of the Managing Director includes acting as the Council's Head of Paid Service. Under the Council's Constitution, the making or confirming of the appointment of the Head of Paid Service is a mandatory Council function and, therefore, requires the approval of Full Council.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
5. As set out in previous reports.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The employment implications for all posts affected by the Senior Management reduction were set out in the previous reports to Cabinet and Council.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. The equal opportunities implications were set out in the report to Cabinet on 21st September 2011.
9. The Senior Management reduction proposals have been designed to meet the financial objectives as set out in the Medium Term Financial Plan.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. The making or confirming of the Head of Paid Service is a matter for Full Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. Consultation has taken place with staff concerned and with the recognised Trade Unions in accordance with the Avoiding Redundancy Procedures and views have been contained within previous reports.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Corporate Resources.
Minute of Council : 16th April 2012
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager - Democratic Services
Head of Human Resources
R Bergman, Head of Human Resources - Tel: 01446 709357