Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 25th April, 2012
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Standards Committee: Appointment of Community Committee Member (Community Councillor)
Purpose of the Report
1. To propose a mechanism for the appointment of a Community Committee Member (Community Councillor) to the Council's Standards Committee.
That an Appointments Panel comprising the Elected Members of the Vale of Glamorgan Council appointed to the Standards Committee be established with power to appoint the Community Committee Member (Town / Community Councillor) to the Council's Standards Committee.
Reasons for the Recommendations
To maintain representation on the Standards Committee in accordance with legislative requirements.
2. The Standards Committees (Wales) Regulations 2001 require the appointment of a Community Committee Member (Community Councillor) to the Council's Standards Committee.
3. The previous Community Committee Member (Councillor Mrs Pope) would not be eligible for reappointment to the Standards Committee as she has served the maximum of two terms of office.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Councillor Pope was appointed to the Standards Committee by a process approved by the Council on 21st July 2004, by which the Director of Legal and Regulatory Services (now the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Service) wrote to all Town and Community Councils requesting nominations to the Standards Committee and the appointment was determined by an Appointments Panel comprising the Elected Members on the Standards Committee.
5. It is proposed that the same procedure be followed in this instance, immediately following the Council elections to be held on 3rd May 2012.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Council is required to comply with the Standards Committees (Wales) Regulations 2001 as amended.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. Not applicable.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a report for decision by the Council in accordance with the Constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. This is an internal matter and therefore no consultation is necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources.
Mr. C. Hope, Tel: (01446) 709855.
Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services.
Peter H. Evans, Monitoring Officer.