Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 26th September, 2012
Report of the Managing Director
Re-Allocation of Seats on Committees
Purpose of the Report
1. To agree adjustments to the Membership of Committees in order, so far as is practicable, to maintain overall political balance in the light of Plaid Cymru gaining an additional seat on the Council as a result of the recent Buttrills By Election and to reflect various changes nominated by the relevant Group Leaders.
That the changes outlined in the report be approved.
Reason for the Recommendation
To comply with the requirements of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 in terms of political balance.
2. Section 15(5) of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 requires that the total number of seats across all Committees should, as far as practicable, reflect the political balance of the Council.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Plaid Cymru Group, as a result of now having one additional Member on the Council, are entitled to a total of 4 extra Committee places. The specific changes in the various Groups' entitlements relate to the Planning Committee and to Committees of 10 Members. As far as the Planning Committee is concerned, the Conservative Group is required to give up a place on the Committee. The remaining three additional places for the Plaid Cymru Group are required to be given up by the Labour Group and these should come from three of the Committees which comprise 10 Members.
4. The Leader has indicated that, as far as the Labour Group is concerned, they will give up a place on each of the following Committees:
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health) - Councillor Mrs. A.J. Moore
Democratic Services Committee - Councillor Mrs. M.R. Wilkinson
Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee - Councillor L. Burnett.
5. The Leader of the Conservative Group will be required to confirm which Member will relinquish their seat on the Planning Committee.
6. In addition to the above, the Labour Group has also indicated that the vacancies to which it is entitled as a result of the passing away of former Councillor Ms. Alexander will be taken up as follows:
Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) - Councillor Mrs. A.J. Moore
Investigating Committee - Councillor F.T. Johnson
Licensing Committee - to be notified.
Equalities Consultative Forum - Councillor L. Burnett.
7. Finally, the Leader of the Llantwit First Independent Group has indicated that the Group wishes Councillor E. Williams to replace Councillor G. John on the Joint Consultative Forum.
8. Appendix A sets out the entitlements to seats across all Committees for each Group.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
9. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
10. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. The Council, as far as practicable, is required to comply with the requirements of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 in terms of political balance requirements.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
14. Not applicable.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. Changes to the composition, Membership and the Terms of Reference for Committees, and any consequential changes to the Constitution, are matters for Council to determine.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. This is an internal matter and, therefore, no external consultation procedure is necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources.
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager (Democratic Services)
Siân Davies, Managing Director