Agenda Item No. 9
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 26th September 2012
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Appointment of Community Committee Member to the Council's Standards Committee
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise of an appointment made by the Appointments Panel to fill a vacancy on the Council's Standards Committee.
That it be noted that Town Councillor Mr. M. Cuddy has been appointed the Community Committee Member to the Council's Standards Committee.
Reason for the Recommendation
To advise the Council.
2. Council, on 25th April 2012, agreed a process to fill the vacancy on the Standards Committee.
3. The process agreed was:
All Town / Community Councils be asked if they wished to nominate a Community Committee Member to the Council's Standards Committee and that the appointment be made by an Appointments Panel comprising the Elected Members sitting on the Standards Committee.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Appointments Panel met on 19th July 2012 and interviewed the following shortlisted candidates:
Councillor M. Cuddy
Councillor N. Streeter.
5. Following interview, the following appointment was made:
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. Community Committee members of the Standards Committee can receive an allowance as prescribed by the Independent Remuneration Panel if they so wish.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no sustainability and climate change implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Council is required to comply with the Standards Committees (Wales) Regulations 2001 as amended. In the given circumstances, Regulation 18(i)(a) provides that the term of office shall be for no more than four years.
9. The Community Committee Member shall cease to be a member of the Standards Committee, if that member ceases to be a member of the Town/Community Council within the Vale of Glamorgan.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
Policy Framework and Budget
13. Changes to the composition, membership and terms of reference for committees and any consequential changes to the Constitution are matters for Council to determine.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. This is an internal matter and therefore no consultation is necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Corporate Resources.
Report to Annual Meeting: 16th May, 2007
Report to Council: 27th June, 2007
Report to Council: 8th December, 2010
Council's Constitution: Article 9 - Standards Committee
Report to Council: 25th April, 2012
Mr. C. Hope, Tel: (01446) 709856, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer