Agenda Item No. 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 26th September 2012
Report of the Managing Director
Change of Name - Sully Community Council
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider a request by Sully Community Council to change the name of the Community Council to Sully and Lavernock Community Council.
That the Council approves the change in the name of Sully Community Council to Sully and Lavernock Community Council with immediate effect.
Reason for the Recommendation
To meet the Council's duty under Section 76 of the Local Government Act 1972.
2. Section 76 of the Local Government Act 1972 states that, at the request of a Community Council, the principal Council in which the Community was situated may change the name of the Community.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. In accordance with Section 76 of the Local Government Act 1972, Sully Community Council has requested the Council to consider changing the name of the Community from Sully to Sully and Lavernock Community Council. A copy of the Resolution is attached at Appendix A.
4. Should the Council be minded to approve the change of name of the Community Council, notice of the change is required to be sent to the National Assembly for Wales, to the Director General of the Ordinance Survey and to the Registrar General for England and Wales. It must also be published in the community.
5. A change of name of the Council would not affect any rights or obligations of the Community nor render defective any legal proceedings which may be commenced to continue as if there had been no change of name.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. A cost will be incurred in advertising the change of name of the Community Council.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no sustainability and climate change implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Section 76 of the Local Government Act 1972 provides that at the request of a Community, the principal Council in which the community was situated may change the name of the Community.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. Both the English and Welsh versions of the new name of the Community Council are required to be published.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for determination by the Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Councillors K.G. Mahoney and R.A. Penrose have been consulted on this request. Councillor Penrose has stated that he considers the change of name to better reflect the total ward of Sully and Lavernock rather than just Sully.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources.
Local Government Act 1972
Mr. C. Hope, telephone (01446) 709855, e-mail: email@example.com
Siân Davies, Managing Director