Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Extraordinary Council: 23rd January, 2013
Report of the Head of Democratic Services
Request to Grant Extended Leave of Absence to a Member
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider granting an extended period of leave of absence to Councillor Mrs. Kelly Owen given her inability, for some time, to attend meetings due to ill health.
That the Council consider whether to extend the period of permitted absence granted to Councillor Kelly Owen until the Council meeting in June 2013.
Reasons for the Recommendations
To enable a decision to be made within the six month period provided for under the Local Government Act 1972.
2. Section 85 of the Local Government Act 1972 states that if a Member of a Local Authority fails throughout a period of six consecutive months, from the date of his/her last attendance to attend any meeting of the authority, he/she shall, unless the failure was due to some reason approved by the Authority before the expiry of that period, cease to be a Member of the Authority.
3. Due to health-related reasons, Councillor Mrs. Kelly Owen has been unable to attend any Council or Committee meetings since the meeting of the Planning Committee on 6th September, 2012.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Council can only consider approving any reasons for non-attendance and/or granting an extension of leave of absence, before the end of the relevant six month period, which would be 5th March, 2013. As the next scheduled Council meeting would not take place until 6th March, 2013, the report is submitted to this meeting for consideration.
5. Should it transpire that Councillor Kelly Owen is able to attend a meeting(s) prior to 5th March, 2013 then the recommendation before Council will not need to be implemented. However, it is necessary to make provision for such prior to that date.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. As set out above.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct implications arising from the report
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no direct implications arising from the report
11. Not applicable.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for Full Council to determine.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. This is an internal matter and, therefore, no consultation has been necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources.
Local Government Act 1972
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager - Democratic Services
Head of Democratic Services