Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COUNCIL: 6TH MARCH, 2013
REPORT OF THE MANAGING DIRECTOR
NOMINATION OF MAYOR ELECT AND DEPUTY MAYOR ELECT FOR THE MUNICIPAL YEAR 2013 / 14
Purpose of the report
1. To nominate a Mayor Elect and Deputy Mayor Elect for the Municipal year 2013/14.
(1) T H A T the Council select the Councillor to be nominated for election as Mayor at the Annual Meeting to be held on 15th May, 2013 and that the Chairman use the style “Mayor” or “Maer”.
(2) T H A T the Council select the Councillor to be nominated for election as Deputy Mayor at the Annual Meeting.
Relevant Issues and Options
2. By virtue of Section 22 of the Local Government Act 1972, the Chairman of a principal council shall be elected annually by the Council from among the Councillors.
3. By virtue of Section 23 of the Local Government Act 1972, the election of the Chairman shall be the first business transacted at the Annual Meeting of a principal council.
4. At its meeting on 30th October, 2002, the Cabinet considered the legal provisions relating to the style of Mayor.
5. Section 25A of the Local Government Act 2000 provides that the Chairman of the Council is entitled to the style of “Mayor” or “Maer”.
6. The Cabinet resolved that the entitlement of the Chairman to the style of “Mayor” or “Maer” be supported and introduced with effect from the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2003.
Local Government Act 1972
Local Government Act 2000.
Jeff Wyatt (Tel: 01446 709408)